Transfer Parallels to a new mac?

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by npearson99@gmail.com, Apr 10, 2009.

1. npearson99@gmail.com

npearson99@gmail.com Bit poster

I got a new mac, is there any way to transfer my parallels purchase to my new mac? I'm using 4.0.

2. Flagg

Flagg Hunter

Hello,

Yes, it is possible, as long as you use it on only one computer. You would need to install Parallels Desktop 4 on that new Mac and transfer the .pvm files, it should run fine from there.

3. What about Windows apps and data?

Sorry to reopen this thread, but I am contemplating migrating to another better iMac. Will my entire Parallels, the XP insatallation and more importantly, the windows programmes and their data transfer too?

If not, what precautions should I take?

Many thanks,

4. Flagg

Flagg Hunter

Robert,

All your data and applications are on the .hdd file that is contained in the .pvm bundle. If you make a new installation of Parallels Desktop 4 on the new Mac and transfer the .pvm file, you will not lose any data nor application installations.

5. Thank you very much.

6. ben

ben Bit poster

Problem with transfer

I am trying to transfer my Parallels 4 and HD to a new macbook pro I just got. I transferred over everything, but couldn't figure out how to get it started, so ended up downloading a fresh version of v4 and installing it. It seemed to recognize me as a licensed user, but insisted on upgrading the virtual machine (which is taking a long time). Is this the appropriate way to do it? Is there anything I have to do with my old machine, like uninstall Windows XP or something, in order to get it running on my new machine? It's telling me I have to call MS and give them some kind of code, but it doesn't show any code for me to tell them. HELP!
    Thanks.