Parallels b4 won't start XP

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by dzins, Apr 20, 2006.

1. dzins

dzins Member

Everything was working great yesterday. I shut down last night and then trying to start up this morning, I just get a black screen, no starting windows nothing.

Can you give me any way to try to debug this to get it going ASAP??

MBP 2.16 Ghz OS X 10.4.6 1 GB RAM, Windows XP SP 2 all latest security patches.

2. tacit_one

tacit_one Pro

Does BIOS screen appear ? Or it shows black screen without any info ?

3. dzins

dzins Member

A black screen with no info.

4. tacit_one

tacit_one Pro

That's really strange. Try to create black VM configuration and run it - still nothing but black screen ?

5. dzins

dzins Member

I'm sorry, I don't follow you.

6. dzins

dzins Member

I see this in the log file:

Apr 20 09:36:18 DSZMacBook kernel[0]: Error:Unsupported ioctl() call (0xc0105401) to hyvisor (hypervisor.c:133)
    Apr 20 09:36:18 DSZMacBook kernel[0]: Error:Unsupported ioctl() call (0xc0105401) to hypervisor (hrvisor.c:133)
    Apr 20 09:36:18 DSZMacBook kernel[0]: Error:Unsupported ioctl() call (0xc0105401) to hypervisor (hypervisor.c:)
    Apr 20 09:36:18 DSZMacBook kernel[0]: Error:Unsupported ioctl() call (0xc0105401) to hypervisor (hypervisor.c:133)
    Apr 20 09:36:18 DSZMacBook kernel[0]: or:Unsupported ioctl() call (0xc0105401) to hypervisor (hypervisor.c:133)
    Apr 20 09:36:18 DSZMacBook kernel[0]: or:Unsupported ioctl() call (0xc0105401) to hypervisor (hypervisor.c:133)
    Apr 20 09:36:18 DSZMacBook kernel[0]: Error:Unsupted ioctl() call (0xc0105401) to hypervisor (hypervisor.c:133)
    Apr 20 09:36:18 DSZMacBook kernel[0]: Error:Unsupported ioctl(all (0xc0105401) to hypervisor (hypervisor.c:133)
    Apr 20 09:36:18 DSZMacBook kernel[0]: Error:Unsupported ioctl() call (0xc01054 to hypervisor (hypervisor.c:133)
    Apr 20 09:36:18 DSZMacBook kernel[0]: Error:Unsupported ioctl() call (0xc0105401) to hyperor (hypervisor.c:133)
    Apr 20 09:36:18 DSZMacBook kernel[0]: Error:Unsupported ioctl() call (0xc0105401) to hypervisor (hyperor.c:133)
    Apr 20 09:36:18 DSZMacBook kernel[0]: Error:Unsupported ioctl() call (0xc0105401) to hypervisor (hypervisor.c:133)

7. tacit_one

tacit_one Pro

Ok. Thank you. We will see what's the problem. As a temporal fix, try to reboot your OSX and reinstall Parallels Workstation - this should work.
    Just reboot - should work. This issue will be fixed in the next public version.

8. dzins

dzins Member

I rebooted and reinstalled and I still have the same problem.

I did notice this time when I clicked start that the bios screen does flash by quickly and one of the cpu cores is pegged 100% by Parallels workstation.

9. ms @ parallels

ms @ parallels Parallels Team

Try to remove:
    /System/Library/Extensions/vmmain.kext,hypervisor.kext
    /Library/StartupItems/Parallels

reboot after this and reinstall PW again.

10. dzins

dzins Member

I uninstalled and went all the way back to beta 2, but still nothing, is the disk image screwed up somehow? Is there any tools that I can use to test this? Boot in to safe mode or something?

11. ms @ parallels

Try /Library/StartupItems/Parallels/Parallels stop and start.
    And post output here.

12. dzins

dzins Member

I can go in and start my disk image backup from yesterday, it starts fine, but my current disk image does not start. Are there any tools to check it out or is it possible to try to boot windows in to safe mode? It doesn't appear to ever get to the first windows loading screen (with the white line accross the bottom).

13. ms @ parallels

14. dzins

dzins Member

I am talking specifically starting Windows, Mac OSX starts just fine.

15. dzins

dzins Member

Well, I can say that everything was working perfectly fine last night. I shut down windows, came in to work this morning and it won't start up.

I have a backup of the image file from two nights ago (the backup from last night has the same results ie it won't start).

I am copying the disk image to a windows pc and try to start it on the trial version of PW there.

16. dzins

dzins Member

DSZMacBook:~ dzins$ sudo /library/startupitems/parallels/parallels stop
    Password:
    kextunload: unload kext /System/Library/Extensions//Pvsnet.kext succeeded
    kextunload: unload kext /System/Library/Extensions//Pvsvnic.kext succeeded
    kextunload: unload kext /System/Library/Extensions//vmmain.kext succeeded
    kextunload: unload kext /System/Library/Extensions//hypervisor.kext succeeded

DSZMacBook:~ dzins$ sudo /library/startupitems/parallels/parallels start
    kextload: /System/Library/Extensions//hypervisor.kext loaded successfully
    kextload: /System/Library/Extensions//vmmain.kext loaded successfully
    kextload: /System/Library/Extensions//Pvsnet.kext loaded successfully
    kextload: /System/Library/Extensions//Pvsvnic.kext loaded successfully

17. dzins

dzins Member

I got it copied to my Windows machine and tried to start it there and got the same thing. I am now using the Imaging Tool to Defragment the drive, does this fix problems like this?

18. dzins

dzins Member

The defrag finished, but still no luck.

This is very disconcerting for the disk image to go bad. It would be one thing if I had a kernel panic or something and crashed, but everything was fine last night and worked very well.

19. pyeargi

pyeargi Bit poster

Windows XP Black Screen

I'm having the same problem with my Parallels install...I received the following message in my console output.

2006-04-20 15:00:59.966 diskimages-helper[692] CFLog (22): Cannot find function pointer MacDiskImagePluginFactory for factory 7F1FD83E-6684-11D8-968F-000A957703C0 in CFBundle/CFPlugIn 0x31eef0 </Library/Plug-ins/DiskImages/VirtualPCDiskImagePlugin.bundle> (bundle, not loaded)
    2006-04-20 15:01:00.022 diskimages-helper[692] CFLog (21): dyld returns 2 when trying to load /Library/Plug-ins/DiskImages/VirtualPCDiskImagePlugin.bundle/Contents/MacOS/VirtualPCDiskImagePlugin

Thanks,
    Pete