Windows 7 Just Freezes

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by stormj, Apr 19, 2009.

1. stormj

stormj Member

On Parallels Build 4.0.3810:

I have installed Windows 7 32-bit build 7077 on a VM with 1 CPU, 1G RAM, 128 MB VRAM (acceleration on), Shared Networking, 1 Virtual CD-ROM, one Virtual HD. I am running this on a Mac Pro with 4G RAM, two monitors on two video cards, with 4 CPUs @ 3.0GHz. I run the VM in a window on Display 2. Parallels tools are installed. This is not used as a boot camp partition.

(Most of that info is, I think, irrelevant, but I hate to see threads cluttered with 25 questions asking for irrelevant specifics.)

From time to time, the VM will simply freeze. No BSOD, no error messages, just freezes. It is totally unresponsive. Parallels has no idea what's going on and can't even properly suspend the VM. (Suspending leads to an interminable loop that requires rebuilding the VM.) The only way to tell it's probably not just a hiccup is that the VM's system clock displays (I presume) the last time it was working. Sometimes I find it hours later.

I understand that Windows 7 is still in beta, or pre-RC, or whatever. This, however, seems like a pretty nasty problem. I'm not convinced it's on the VM/W7 end. I've played with a few settings (changed frequency of clock updates, reduced number of CPUs to 1, amount of VRAM) to no avail.

I haven't seen any posts talking specifically about this, though I have seen some people dealing with the after-effects of this kind of crash.

Is there some setting that is most likely to be causing this? Are there problems using Parallels on different displays? Are there problems with 3D acceleration? Networking? Anything specific? Any bugs identified in the last release of Parallels Tools for W7, or with 7077?

2. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

Disable 3D acceleration.

3. M O

M O Bit poster

*subscribing*

4. Fai Lau

Fai Lau Junior Member

Agreed. Windows 7 RC however works with another prominent virtualization software for Mac, so I don't think it's an issue with Windows.

5. hiroshi kubota

hiroshi kubota Bit poster

windows 7 slow after suspend

I'm have a similar issue with Windows 7 but it only appears to happen after I wake Windows from a suspended state. On a fresh boot, Windows runs fine and will do so reliably for hours of use. But if I suspend it, and then wake it up, it takes quite a while to become responsive (sometimes more than a few minutes). Sometimes it doesn't respond at all and I need to shutdown and re-start the VM.

Anyone else experiencing this?

6. indras

indras Bit poster

Arrgh same problem. Installed Windows 7 x64 on a standard issue 13" MacBook Pro (2.53Ghz/4GB RAM/Parallels 4.0) running Snow Leopard. Windows just freezes up - sometimes after a period of inactivity and always following a Pause or Suspend of the guest os.

Can anyone help me?

Thanks,

indra

7. Frappy

Frappy Bit poster

I had the same issue - to resolve it, I disabled the 3D acceleration in the VM configuration (not in Windows itself) - I'm running Windows 7 x64 on a MacBook Pro 17' and have not had a lockup since the changes.

8. indras

indras Bit poster

Re: 3D Acceleration

Hi,

thanks for the tip. I did this a little while ago but forgot to mention it in my original post. On the advice of another user I also diabled hardware acceleration in Windows too but to no avail.

I originally thought it might have something to do with the fact that my MBP is the 13" model that lacks a dedicated GPU but after reading Boomdudes post

I'm no longer sure. I might try running it on my quadcore MacPro but its currently running Parallels 3.0 and I don't see why I should buy yet another license so I can do Parallels' testing for them >:-(

I've raised a ticket with PD support, you'll be the first to hear if there's a fix...

thanks for your comments,

indra

9. indras

indras Bit poster

32-Bit Windows 7 Doesn't Freeze

Just set up an x86 Windows 7 VM under Parallels, all seems to be just fine. Looks like I'll be working on this for the moment but keeping hope alive and not trashing the x64 vm just yet...

Still waiting to hear back from Parallels support - somewhat rudely they have set my ticket priority to 4, the lowest...

i.

10. KaejafaG

KaejafaG Bit poster

Fix for Bootcamp issue

Uninstall ATITool if you've installed it. ATITool's driver (and service) make Parallels freeze seconds after booting up.

11. Tony Z

Tony Z Bit poster