upgrade from 3.0 to 4.0 problems with regisrty c0000218

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by Jim Arnold, Apr 30, 2009.

1. Jim Arnold

Jim Arnold Bit poster

i just upgraded from version 3.0 to 4.0. i can't get it to work. i keep getting the error of STOP: c0000218 (registry file failure) please help, i cant get into my windows XP pro system.

2. desgael

desgael Pro

Has the convertion process finished? i.e. do you still see the "VM is upgrading" screen from Parallels?

As for now I would suppose you do not and the process has finished.

Since this error indicates that there are troubles with the hard disk and/or registry I would suggest to perform the steps described in the Micrisoft KB, to use the recovery console: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/830084/en

1. Insert your Windows CD
    2. In Virtual machine -> Configure -> Options, change the boot order to start from the CD first.
    3. Press any key and wait while setup is loading files.
    4. When the "Welcome to Setup" screen appears, press R to start the Recovery Console.
    5. Press 1 to select the installation.
    6.. I suppose you do not have the administrator account password, so press ENTER when prompted.
    7. Type chkdsk /r
    8. Once checkdisk would complete check whether the issue persists.

Also, you can try a Windows repair installation, for that, on step 4 press ENTER instead (start Windows installation), and when Windows setup would detect already installed Windows press R to begin the repair installation.

3. Jim Arnold

Jim Arnold Bit poster

4.0 starts to convert the system, but each time it says it has to do it in manual mode. once that says that, the system starts up and starts loading windows, once the blue bar comes up it goes to the blue screen and says "stop: c0000218"
    i will post a link on photobucket
    [​IMG]

4. voobrajulia

voobrajulia Member

Hello Jim,

Have you tried the steps suggested before by desgael using the recovery console? or were you not able to get Virtual Machine boot from Windows CD?