Trying to install Windows 7 with no luck

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by wolfpackfan, May 5, 2009.

1. wolfpackfan

wolfpackfan Bit poster

I keep reading here about folks getting Win 7 installed under Parallels. Everytime I try, it seems to start the installation process fine but then it asks for a driver for the CD/DVD and won't go any further. I have a Mac Mini plus an external LG DVD/CD reader writer. Where do I get the drivers? I've searched and searched with no luck. What am I doing wrong? I really would like to get this to work as I'm curious to see what Win 7 is like.

2. Bopanna I G

Bopanna I G Hunter

Hello,

Are you using the CD/DVD of Mac Mini, or the external drive to install Wndows 7?
    If you are not using the external drive please disconnect it and then try to install Windows 7.

Or you can also make an .iso image of Win 7 CD and install it.
    Here is the link : http://kb.parallels.com/en/4664

3. wolfpackfan

wolfpackfan Bit poster

I've tried both suggestions. Still get the message. I'm about to give up on this. I've already wasted too much time trying to get it to work. I don't know what everyone else is doing to get Win 7 to run under Parallels, but evidently it won't run for me.

4. jimcoyle

jimcoyle Hunter

Which version?

Are you trying to install the Windows 7 beta or the new release candidate which was made available today?

5. wolfpackfan

wolfpackfan Bit poster

Well I solved my problem. I re-downloaded Win 7 and it installed okay. Turned out I had downloaded the wrong version. Now my question is - what should and what should not be working? Should I be able to install Parallels Tools? What about the network - I only have a WiFi connection - should it be working? Also, my audio isn't working either. I'm hoping that Parallels will eventually come out with an update that fully supports Win 7.

6. wolfpackfan

wolfpackfan Bit poster

I installed the version released yesterday. Everything is working fine now. The great thing is, I only have 1GB of memory on my Mac Mini. I've allocated 512MB of that to Win 7 and it is working great. In fact, it seems a lot faster than my Win XP VM on the same Mac. I really like everything I see with the new Windows.

7. C. Glass

C. Glass Bit poster

I'm having the same problem!

I'm trying to install Windows 7 Release Candidate into a new virtual machine. I've tried it from both physical DVD (burned from ISO), or attaching the image, and I've tried both 32-bit and 64-bit versions. No matter what, it always does the same thing on either one of my Intel Macs (Macbook Pro or tower systems) -- it complains about missing device drivers for the CD/DVD drive, and wants me to insert a disk containing the drivers. I can't get past this!

Thoughts?

Thanks!

8. wolfpackfan

wolfpackfan Bit poster

Hey, I actually know the answer for this one. I had the same thing happen to me. Make sure you have downloaded the RC that is for general use; not the one for developers or IT professionals.

9. C. Glass

C. Glass Bit poster

10. EMAC

EMAC Bit poster

Got past the "missing CD/DVD device driver....." error

I have been searching all over for an answer and it seems like the only thing that has been consistently working (and it just worked for me) is to re-download the file from Microsoft. I realize it will take me another 15 minutes to download that whopper of a file but I'm ready for it. Since I am using the 32-bit version, I just re-downloaded it, mounted the ISO file and it worked. (When I say it "worked", I mean I got past that "missing CD/DVD device driver...." error. I'm hoping I get no more errors and just install the OS. (As I write this, the install seems to be going smoothly......knock on wood.)

Some posts I've read were saying to re-burn the DVD at a slower speed (if you were installing from a DVD). Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't they say. I, personally, don't buy that solution. It also wastes precious blank DVD's. However, Since I was not about to ruin another DVD, I re-downloaded the file I'm now I'm good.

I hope this helps!