Vista RC2 install: 32-bit or 64-bit?

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by retrovertigo, Oct 14, 2006.

1. retrovertigo

retrovertigo Junior Member

I have a MacBook Pro, and it's my understanding (correct me if I'm wrong) that the dual-core chips are 64-bit, even though OS 10.4.x is not. I have both the 32 and 64-bit DVD iso's, which one should I install under Parallels?

2. Thomas Harte

Thomas Harte Bit poster

It was my understanding that the ordinary Core Duo is exclusively 32 bit. The Core 2 Duo is 64 bit but is not currently used in any sort of MacBook.

3. retrovertigo

retrovertigo Junior Member

ahh, guess I was wrong then! 32-bit it is.

4. majortom

majortom Member

I'm not sure but PD actually needs 32bit Win also on 64 bit machines. If so, you're problem doesn't exist at all...

5. joem

joem Forum Maven

The machine that Parallels currently emulates is the 32 bit Pentium. You cannot install 64 bit software on it.

6. CTU_styles

CTU_styles Bit poster

64-bit vista not supported by parallels

I also have Vista RC2 build 5744 64-bit (the so called final beta). This will not install on my MacPro which is 2 x dual core intel Xeon 2.66GHz.

When attempting to install, parallels proceeds as normal, however just prior to copying the install files within the shell, windows setup displays the following error... "install failed, reason: this copy of windows can only be installed on 64 bit workstations."

Seems windows should talk to intel to sort out this so called final beta release, as the Xeon chip is quite a popular one across the mac world and PC world alike.

For the record RC2 build 5744 x86 (32 bit) installed and runs flawlessly.

Thanks Parallels.
    P.S,
    I cannot wait for my first blue screen of death.

7. palter

palter Hunter

Again, Parallels does not virtualize a 64-bit chip. As far as Vista is concerned, it's running on a 32-bit chip. (I.e., when it asks the hardware what's there, it's told it's a 32-bit chip.)

8. miker51

miker51 Member

As you may have noticed, in the post just above yours it is noted that Parallels does not emulate a 64 bit machine. Therefore, 64 bit Vista will not install and run properly under Parallels. This has nothing to do with Microsoft nor Intel.