LabJack U12 fails USB test after 4.0.3810 update

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by DavidMLewis, Jan 7, 2009.

1. DavidMLewis

DavidMLewis Member

I have a piece of equipment that incorporates an analog I/O device from a company called LabJack, called a LabJack U12. It's been working fine under Win XP SP3 running on Parallels Desktop 3.0 and 4.0. Now after the 4.0.3810 update, it operates extremely slowly. The diagnostic fails its USB test. Mostly it fails immediately, but sometimes it throws up a message saying the port is out of spec, and suggesting that if I have a high-speed hub connected to a high-speed port, I should try connecting it directly or through a USB 1.1 hub. I've tried various combinations of disabling the virtual hubs and controllers using the Windows device manager, but to no effect. It appears that small transfers are OK but large ones or fast polling are not. This is a crucial piece of equipment for me, so any help is appreciated.

Best,
    David

2. DavidMLewis

DavidMLewis Member

Update: I tried attaching the device to a physical USB 1.1 hub (my keyboard), and attaching that directly to the machine, which is a MacBook Pro (early 2008). No difference. Is there any way of backing out the update?

3. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

Have you updated Parallels Tools?

4. DavidMLewis

DavidMLewis Member

Yes. As soon as I opened a VM after the update, the new tools installed automatically.

5. DavidMLewis

DavidMLewis Member

I have. I just tried reinstalling them, but it made no difference. I re-ran the test and got the error message, so I did a problem report while it was on the screen; the report number is 28096.

6. DavidMLewis

DavidMLewis Member

In looking through the LabJack forums, it appears that the test program expects each call in the USB test to take about 20 ms. In my case, the max number is 2066 ms, and the average is 2065, or roughly 100 times slower than expected! This is certainly consistent with the behavior of the equipment, which as I say performed properly with VMs in all versions of PD up to the current one.

7. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

It requires investigation,
    Please create ticket in support and provide model, manufacturer URL, device URl and problem report in ticket

8. DavidMLewis

DavidMLewis Member

I created a ticket by sending the information to customersupport, as I wasn't able to use my registration for some reason. I've since opened up the LabJack U12. It uses a Microchip PIC16C765 controller with integrated USB, with a 6 MHz crystal that the internal PLL takes up to the 24 MHz that USB requires (it only supports low-speed, which may have something to do with this). Your engineers can find the spec here; it's too large to attach. Hope this helps.

Best,
    David

9. John@Parallels

Ticket ID please here

10. DavidMLewis

DavidMLewis Member

I never heard back from customersupport. I'd spoken to her on the phone and she said I should send an email and she'd enter it. How do I find a ticket number?

11. John@Parallels

12. DavidMLewis

DavidMLewis Member

I called, and was given ticket number 656805; I haven't been able to file a web support ticket because my login seems to be wedged in an odd state, and if I click the lost password link the message never appears (and isn't quarantined by my spam firewall either). Thanks for the help.

13. DavidMLewis

DavidMLewis Member

Now I seem to have three ticket numbers! I keep getting emails about them being escalated. I seem to have 656805, 656814, and 656325.

14. DavidMLewis

DavidMLewis Member

Downloaded the 3540 build and re-installed it, along with the associated version of Parallels Tools in the VM. Now the LJtest USB section reports 16 ms per loop instead of the 2065 ms I got with the 3810 one. That would pretty much be the smoking gun.

15. John@Parallels

Engineers replied, please check

16. DavidMLewis

DavidMLewis Member

Hi John,

If there's a way of checking the status of my tickets after logging in to my account, I haven't been able to find it. I've been getting emails, but they uniformly contain this text:

Dear Sir/Madam,

Your ticket has been escalated to our Secondline support engineers for the further detailed investigation. We will address your request as soon as possible and kindly ask for your patience and cooperation. We will contact you as soon as any investigation updates will be available.

There is no need to reply to this message right now.

Sincerely,
    Parallels Support Team

Is there any other information I should be looking for?

Best,
    David

17. John@Parallels

You can reply to this email, which was send,
    But actually one of me colleagues merged 3 tickets, and replied

18. DavidMLewis

DavidMLewis Member

Build 3844 resolves the problem

Installed 3844, reinstalled Parallels Tools, and re-ran the Labjack test program. The USB test now behaves normally again. Thanks!

Best,
    David