RHEL5; black screen after Par. Tools install

Discussion in 'Linux Virtual Machine' started by Bob M, Apr 29, 2009.

1. Bob M

Bob M Bit poster

Installed Parallels Desktop 4. Installed RHEL5. Was able to use it. Installed Parallels Tools. Was told to reboot. After reboot, RHEL appears to boot OK, but I have a black screen for it. I can do Shut Down and Suspend and it acts as if RHEL5 is running fine.

MacBook Pro 15.x". I've tried multiple Mac OS video resolutions.

2. Bob M

Bob M Bit poster

Update: I lowered video RAM from 32MB to 16MB, rebooted, and at the GRUB screen, booted from what appears to be the initial kernel, prior to me running "yum update", getting all the updates from our satellite server, including a new kernel. I then rebooted into the updated version to see if it was the 16MB video RAM that caused things to work, and it black screened again, so what I'm gathering is that the new kernel is causing the black screening.

2.6.18-128.1.6.el5xen is the one that black-screens.

Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server (2.6.18-128.1.6.el5xen)
    Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server (2.6.18-53.e15xen)

When I boot the problematic kernel into single user mode (by appending " S" after the kernel line, in GRUB, I still get a black screen.

Bob

Last edited: May 7, 2009
  3. DavidMLewis

DavidMLewis Member

I just updated to the new version of Parallels, and had a similar response from CenOS 5. It didn't stay black if I left it long enough, but certain things were very slow. Changing video memory didn't seem to affect it. For some reason, the upgrade and reinstall of Parallels Tools seemed to leave the virtual hard drive badly fragmented. Running Parallels Image Tool and compacting the disk restored the original performance for me.

And by the way, in CentOS 5 at least, I was unable to install Parallels Tools using the instructions given. When I selected Install Parallels Tools from the menu, it mounted the ISO image, but I had to copy everything from the image to a writeable area, i.e., a folder on my desktop, before I could run it.

Best,
    David