Coherence on Apple Cinema Display 30"

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by endlessbender, Jan 5, 2007.

1. endlessbender

endlessbender Member

Don't do it!!

It has totally disabled my Parallels. It ran fine on my Macbook Pro 17" for ages, then I decided to boot up Parallels on my 30" to do some quick Windows work, and it started fine, albeit in "OS Window" mode. I then switched to Coherence and the Start bar was displayed really low res stretched across the screen. I clicked the "show desktop" button on the taskbar and all of the icons and whatnot looked like an older version of Windows like 95 or ME with 16bit graphics all dithered and old school icons. I checked the resolution under Display>Properties>Settings and it was a funky resolution I'd never seen before (not 2560 x 1600), and I switched it from 16 bit to 32 bit and moved the slider to 2560 x 1600. That's when it crashed. Now it boots to the Windows splash screen, hits the blue screen of death and restarts over and over in an endless cycle.

Note that I am able to start in "Safe Mode with Networking", but this is with the weird click in the window and control alt to get the mouse out of the window.

Anyone have any ideas how to restore my functionality? Of course, I won't be trying it on the 30" until it is a full release now that I've seen this problem. I just want to get Coherence working again and run not in Safe Mode.

I really love Parallels and especially the new Coherence mode. Well done Parallels team, I can't thank you enough for the brilliant work.

Thanks,

Steve Bender

Macbook Pro 17" 2.16 Core Duo
    2 GB of RAM (512mb for Parallels)
    Parallels 3036 Beta

2. drval

drval Pro

Have you disconnected the 30" monitor and tried to boot into XP using just the native 17" screen?

3. endlessbender

endlessbender Member

Yes, sorry forgot to mention that. As soon as it crashed I disconnected the 30" and am now using the display on the laptop only.

Thanks,

Steve

4. drval

drval Pro

On the Mac side try using Detect Displays (Apple/System Preferences/Display). Reselect the "correct" resolution if necessary and see what effect that has.

5. VTMac

VTMac Pro

Pure guess .. but I'd boot into Windows safe mode. Uninstall Parallels tools. Reboot both windows XP and the Mac. Boot into windows XP normal. If this works, reinstall parallels tools. If it doesn't work you may need to do a repair install on XP, which should also be done without parallels tools installed.

6. endlessbender

endlessbender Member

I was able to boot properly after installing 3106 and installing Tools in safe mode. I have not tried to run in coherence on the 30" again.

7. Hugh Watkins

Hugh Watkins Forum Maven

a trick with mac OS is to change the screen resolution
    down and ihen up again to promaote two screen resizes and redraws

Parallels in the last two builds has to be below the Mac OS Menu bar if in coherence mode

Hugh W