"Kernel components mismatch" message after rebooting Mac

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by Parallels User, May 13, 2009.

1. nwgray

nwgray Member

ls /System/Library/Extensions | grep prl
    prl_hid_hook.kext
    prl_hypervisor.kext
    prl_netbridge.kext
    prl_usb_connect.kext
    prl_vnic.kext

2. STim

STim Bit poster

That's weird. It's like Mac OS replaces the moved kexts somehow. Haven't seen anything like this before.

Let's perform the same thing, but with little more logging:

1. Run the "sudo mv /System/Library/Extensions/prl_* ~/Desktop/pddrivers_backup". Please do not forget to supply the password when prompted. Also please watch carefully for any messages the command may produce. If there are any - please post them here.
    2. Run the "ls /System/Library/Extensions | grep prl" and post the output here. It should be empty.
    3. Check the "pddrivers_backup" folder on your Desktop - are there any files there?

Do not reboot yet, we will check if the first steps have produced the expected result.

3. >>> Message has been deleted by the user <<<

4. STim

STim Bit poster

Andrew, welcome back :)

Let's try almost the same sequence of actions as I suggested to nwgray, with a small additions. Here it goes:

1. run the "mkdir ~/Desktop/pddrivers_backup" command.
    2. run the "sudo mv /System/Library/Extensions/prl_* ~/Desktop/pddrivers_backup" command.
    3. run the "ls /System/Library/Extensions | grep prl" and write down its output.
    4. run the "sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions" command.
    5. Reboot.
    6. Run the "ls /System/Library/Extensions | grep prl". Check if its output is empty - it should be empty.
    7. If so, check if the issue is still there.

As the result, please post here the outputs from steps 3 and 6.

5. nwgray

nwgray Member

Before we do that, just wanted to say that I did an uninstall of 3844 including the application (didn't do that before) and reinstalled this one - ParallelsDesktop-parallels-en_US-4.0.3810.237520.dmg. I then did an update from within parallels. It downloaded and ran PDMU4021. Booted my Vista VM and I had internet and intranet connectivity.

Now I'm stuck in the middle of a Windows update. I don't want to mess up anything so I'll wait and repost after I've applied the latest parallels update.

6. STim

STim Bit poster

nwgray, sure. Just keep us updated please. I'm almost sure you'll be fine after upgrade

7. >>> Message has been deleted by the user <<<

8. Havard Risvaag

Havard Risvaag Member

I have not applied the latest updates to OS X and Parallels.

Is it safe to do so now? What order is preferred? OS X first, then Parallels, or the other way around?

9. nwgray

nwgray Member

After installing 3844 from within Parallels, I didn't have to reboot so that was a good sign. I am now on 3844 with my network back.

kextstat -l | grep prl
    137 0 0x581ad000 0x88000 0x87000 com.parallels.kext.prl_hypervisor (4.0 3844.408728) <12 7 6 5 4 2>
    138 0 0x56694000 0x3000 0x2000 com.parallels.kext.prl_hid_hook (4.0 3844.408728) <7 6 5 4 2>
    139 0 0x56dda000 0x4000 0x3000 com.parallels.kext.prl_usb_connect (4.0 3844.408728) <36 7 6 5 4>
    140 0 0x56dde000 0x7000 0x6000 com.parallels.kext.prl_netbridge (4.0 3844.408728) <6 5 4 2>
    141 0 0x56de5000 0x5000 0x4000 com.parallels.kext.prl_vnic (4.0 3844.408728) <94 5 4>

However, when I run
    ls /System/Library/Extensions | grep prl

I get nothing. Should I be concerned about this?

Thanks Tim for all of the patient help!

10. STim

STim Bit poster

Andrew,
    this means your problem is solved. Thank you for proving my last suggestion in this thread, this is going to be the solution. Now just move the "pddrivers_backup" folder from your Desktop to Trash.

nwgray,
    empty output of "ls /System/Library/Extensions | grep prl" is indication that old kexts have been removed and ultimately that the problem is solved. Now your installation is consistent.

Thank you for your patience guys.

Havard Risvaag,
    it doesn't really matter. My only recommendation is to perform Parallels Desktop upgrade using built-in updater mechanism available via Help->Check for Updates menu item

11. STim

STim Bit poster

I have some more questions to all affected by this issue. As we already know, old kexts in /System/Library/Extensions are causing the nasty behavior. The thing is - old kexts should not be there after the upgrade. Please help us understand how they got there by answering a small questionnarie:

1. How did you get the Parallels Desktop update?
    1.1 Have you downloaded build 3844 from the website, or
    1.2 Have you used built-in updater mechanism?

2. How did you install the update?
    2.1 Have you first uninstalled the previous version using Uninstaller application and then installed the new one, or
    2.2 Have you just installed the new version over the old one?

3. Please try to remember if you have ever rebooted your Mac after Parallels Desktop 4 upgrade?
    3.1 You have never rebooted Mac since Parallels Desktop upgrade, or
    3.2 You have rebooted your Mac, but never saw "kernel components mismatch" message and subsequent VM networking loss?

Thank you in advance. This will help us analyze the problem roots.

12. David Bozek

David Bozek Bit poster

This error is generated 10.5.6 as well.

I received the same error message as well while still using 10.5.6.

I downloaded this updater on or about May 6th:

"ParallelsDesktop-parallels-en_US-4.0.3844.408728"

I used the installer to "remove" the older version and then installed the new version. When I tried to use my VMs, I received the same error message to which others are referring:

"one or more kernel components..."

So, as far as I can tell this is not a 10.5.6 problem. It's an issue with the Parallels update 3844.

13. MacBimmer

MacBimmer Junior Member

Missing Kernel and Lost Internet Connection FIXED!!!

I was offline all afternoon (day job!) and got home with a email response posted at the bottom of this post. I did as requested and have share the following steps with everyone so all can benefit from my success in fixing this problem.

Success! But not the first time...with my second attempt which is different. I'll outline both below for your learning.

Here is what I did.
    FIRST ATTEMPT:
    1. Downloaded 3810 and used it's uninstaller to uninstall 3844 from my machine.
    2. Rebooted MAC
    3. Repaired Permissions
    4. Rebooted MAC again
    5. Downloaded 3844
    6. Installed 3844
    7. When asked to 'create a new VM' I cancelled and went to File - Open - and clicked on my existing Windows XP.PVR file. The file did not open, but when I clicked "Start" in the upper left corner it did run.
    8. When it opened I got the Kernel error message and forcing it open I still didn't have an Internet connection.
    So this first attempt failed.

SECOND ATTEMPT:
    1. Reopened the 3819 dmg and used uninstaller to uninstall version 3844 from my machine.
    2. Rebooted MAC
    3. Repaired Permissions
    4. Rebooted MAC
    5. Opened 3810 dmg and installed 3810.
    6. Parallels installer found newer version and asked to download and install it. I said no, install 3810
    7. When 3810 was installed, but before opening, I rebooted and repaired permissions again. (Redundant? yes, but what could it hurt?)
    8. Opened Parallels and when asked to 'create a new VM' I cancelled and went to File - Open - and clicked on my same existing Windows XP.PVR file. The file did not open, but when I clicked "Start" in the upper left corner it did run. For first time since installing Mac OS X 10.5.7, I did NOT get the missing kernel error message.
    9. Parallels asked to install Parallels Tools and I agreed. When the install was almost done, it asked to overwrite the newer (3844) file with the older version (3810) and I said yes - overwrite the newer version with the older file.
    10. It asked to reboot the VM after the Tools Installation. I said yes, and when it opened, I DID NOT GET ERROR MESSAGE, AND, it connected to the Internet.
    11. So, we're halfway home. I got 3810 to work as it did before the OS X 10.5.7 update. I felt like quitting. But I knew we had to press on.
    12. I closed Parallels. Rebooted the Mac. Repaired Permissions. (Again.)
    13. Opened Parallels - no errors (still 3810).
    14. Parallels updater suggested a new version was available. I agreed and downloaded.
    15. Quit Parallels so new version could be installed.
    16. Allowed the Updater to install new downloaded version (3844).
    17. After install, but before opening...you guessed it...rebooted MAC. Repaired Permissions.
    18. Opened Parallels. No error message. We're 3/4 the way home.
    19. Parallels asked to update Tools. Agreed. Ran as expected and when done, asked to reboot Parallels. I agreed.
    20. Parallels opened. No error message. Internet connected as expected and normal. Checked version number and found I had successful installed 3844 with no more missing kernel message and connecting to Internet as expected.
    21. Big sigh of relief. Closed Parallels. Rebooted. Repaired. Opened Parallels. No issues. Closed Parallels. Reopened Parallels. No issues.
    22. I'm convinced my problem is closed. You can close my case.

Thanks a ton!!
    Dale - once again a happy Parallels users.

Below is email reply from Parallels Support from my email request for help sent 24 hours ago.

On May 13, 2009, at 3:16 PM, Megha bajaj, Parallels wrote:

Hello Dale,

Thank you for contacting Parallels Technical Support.

In regards to this issue, I request you to uninstall Parallels Desktop by downloading the Parallels Desktop 4.0 with build number 3810:

http://download.parallels.com/deskt...lsDesktop-parallels-en_US-4.0.3810.351321.dmg

Please follow the steps mentioned below:

1. Reboot your Mac.

2. Launch Applications -> Utilities -> Disk Utility.

3. Select Macintosh HD on the left panel and click Repair Disk permissions.

Now please once again install Parallels Desktop with build number 3844:

http://download.parallels.com/deskt...lsDesktop-parallels-en_US-4.0.3844.408728.dmg

Please update us with the status of the issue. If the issue still exists, please let me know and i will be very glad to assist you further.

Thanks.

Best Regards,
    ==============
    Megha Bajaj
    Technical Support Engineer
    Parallels

kbase: http://kb.parallels.com

14. David Bozek

David Bozek Bit poster

Tried again....

I used the v3810 image to uninstall Parallels. Then I used the v3844 image to re-install the program.

I still get the same error message when I try to launch a VM.

Interestingly, my connection to the internet in the VM works, and has worked through all of the various steps I have tried.

It's just that annoying message about the versions that will not go away....

15. peterlemer

peterlemer Hunter

Is it safe to update or not?

I have 3810 and OS 10.5.6

I want to update macOS

Guidance, please

peter

16. nwgray

nwgray Member

1. 3844 was installed from within Parallels before I had installed 10.5.7. Maybe a few days ago? Can't remember
    2. Installed it once the dmg was downloaded. Did not uninstall the previous version (until yesterday - lol).
    3. I have never had to reboot after a Parallels installation. I've been using it since Dec. 06. I've never seen any messages related to kernel components mismatch. I have had network failures on several occasions, usually after an upgrade. I've had to reinstall Parallels to correct that each time. That was Parallels 3 and beta 4 on Tiger. Everything was good in Leopard until yesterday.

17. Patrice Lazareff

Patrice Lazareff Bit poster

Hello, since I had the same problem, here we go...

I first got it via auto-update. Then, when restarting the Mac , it kernel-panicked so I had to force the shutdown (holding power key for a few secs). Then the problem appeared.

Then I downloaded the update from the site and re-installed without de-installing. Same problem, same kernel-panic on restart.

Then I des-installed and re-installed. Same.

Then I des-installed, rebooted, re-installed. No kernel panic, but same warning when starting virtual machine.

I only had the networking loss with Windows (which I don't use much), which was solved by manually setting the Network device to "Airport" (I use a MacBook) in the Devices menu.

The network loss did not occur with another VM running Ubuntu (latest).

Hope this helps, all the best,
    p @ T

18. >>> Message has been deleted by the user <<<

19. Clayton Haberman

Clayton Haberman Bit poster

Same problem but different

Updated to build 4.0.3844 via the internal updater
    Updated to Mac OS X 10.5.7
    No network/internet connection issues with Mac OS

I don't receive any kernel error message as described by others when attempting to run Parallels. Parallels launches fine, boots into Windows XP no problem. However, VM freezes at some arbitrary point when accessing network/internet via WinXP. The one configuration difference I'm seeing in forum posts here is I'm using bridged networking while a number of others seem to be using shared. I don't know if that matters.

In any case, while my symptoms are a bit different I'm guessing it's the result of the same issue requiring the same solution.

Any thoughts?

20. Walter Madden

Walter Madden Bit poster

I had the same issue of the old version 3810 kexts in /System/Library/Extensions on my Mac (still running 10.5.6). Here is the update flow as I recall it:

1. How did you get the Parallels Desktop update?
    1.1 Have you downloaded build 3844 from the website, or
    1.2 Have you used built-in updater mechanism?

The built-in updater automatically detected and offered to install the 3844 update and I let it do so.

2. How did you install the update?
    2.1 Have you first uninstalled the previous version using Uninstaller application and then installed the new one, or
    2.2 Have you just installed the new version over the old one?

I let the built-in updater perform the update -- presumably it installed over the old one

3. Please try to remember if you have ever rebooted your Mac after Parallels Desktop 4 upgrade?
    3.1 You have never rebooted Mac since Parallels Desktop upgrade, or
    3.2 You have rebooted your Mac, but never saw "kernel components mismatch" message and subsequent VM networking loss?

I do not recall that the built-in updater asked for a reboot once it had completed the update. I did reboot once I saw the "kernel components mismatch" message but that did not resolve the problem and I continued to see the "kernel components mismatch" message. sudo mv'ing the Parallels "3810 kext" files out of /System/Library/Extensions and rebooting one more time resolved the problem for me.

Thanks for posting a solution and good luck hunting down the root issue!