Using Apple Mail (or entourage) as default e-mail in Windows XP?

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by scola77, May 2, 2008.

1. scola77

scola77 Junior Member

Is this possible? If so, how do I set this up?

I have enabled shared Apps.

Thanks in advance and sorry if this has already been posted.

2. jivedig

jivedig Bit poster

Omg

i desperately want this to work. i use Parallels to run my business's rental management software. this software only run's on windows, and uses ?MAPI?? based email (says the creator). i desperately would like a way for this software to recognize Apple Mail as the default email client.

3. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

Please set Parallels Desktop - Preferences - Shared Web Applications- Email- Open in Mac OS.
    Please note you need to setup desired mail client as default in Mac OS

4. jivedig

jivedig Bit poster

okay

ok, i got it. outlook is no longer the default browser, but i was wishing that under Internet Properties in XP, the email drop down menu would show Hotmail, Outlook, and now Apple Mail. even with the setting in Parallels, my software is trying to send through Outlook.

5. John@Parallels

Start - Apple Mail.app -Preferences-General and select default client

6. jivedig

jivedig Bit poster

yeah, i had that. in my browser, if i click an email link Apple Mail opens, but for some reason in my software when i try to email an invoice, it defaults to outlook. i emailed the company, and they said to just setup windows to use whichever email program i want.

there are no email settings within the software. any guesses? i will try contacting the software company. . . rentmaster.info again.

thanks for the help thus far.

7. John@Parallels

Ok, I get it.
    Situation is as follows, software uses COM objects, it means it doesn't check registry, which Parallels Desktop handles to forward application to preferred.
    Developers are working on it, and this feature will be available in Parallels Desktop version 4

8. jivedig

jivedig Bit poster

okay, at least i don't feel like i was overlooking something simple. is version 4 something like a few weeks/months? or more like next year?

9. John@Parallels

I hope it will be available in this summer

10. jivedig

jivedig Bit poster

Hey John, i was just googling around and i noticed people talking about an update of Parallels. Is there an update available that fixes this issue? My trial is expired, and I'm waiting to purchase until this feature is available to a virtual desktop. Thanks for your help!

11. John@Parallels

No, the latest update is Parallels Desktop version 3 build 5608, version 4 is still in testing

12. Lurker

Lurker Bit poster

I'm currently testing Parallels Desktop 4 (Build 4.0.3540), is this problem solved yet? I setup the vm to send mails to mac os x, but from my software it will still open outlook express. The vendor sais they are using MAPI for sending e-Mails. Any way to pass this through to mail.app?

Kind Regards,
    Jürgen

13. jivedig

jivedig Bit poster

i'm still waiting on purchasing Parallels or Fusion specifically for this situation. If our problem is solved somehow in v4 i'll be using Parallels effective immediately. hopefully we get a reply.

14. John@Parallels

You can download trial version and test,
    Backup version 3 VM, if you are going to revert back to v3

15. jivedig

jivedig Bit poster

Lurker/Jurgen is already using the trial of V4. . . that's what his question was about, waiting to see if anyone knew how to set this to work properly. I'm waiting on a reply/confirmation. No sense taking all that time to setup another VM just to try this out, i've already spent too much time with this issue.

16. otoc

otoc Member

Just a few observations for this thread may confuse some who are looking for basic email support via Parallels.

A simple clickable link for an email address does work in PD4.

As stated above, set Mail to the default reader and set PD4 to use Mail.

I utilize this with Excel in XP in my BootCamp VM where I have simple lists of email recipients.

On the other hand, if I have a VB6 routine that calls up Outlook when a link is clicked, sets up the email with a subject, content text, and attaches a file, Outlook is what comes up. I wouldn't want it any other way.

The software package in question, RentMaster, is a pretty neat package that integrates many Windows software packages. It probably depends on Outlook for this integration and is most likley written to specifically call up Outlook so that various attachments can be sent at the same time. The software developer seems open to new features and might be the best source for integration outside of Windows. The combination of PD4 and RentMaster would serve to expand their user base outside of Windows and would save them the hassle of writing for a different OS.

A workaround might be to have a copy of the email sent to yourself which would be available view in Mail, although Outlook would have to be set up with the proper server config information and would be the primary record keeper of what is sent. At least Outlook would only contain a history of email sent from RentMaster which may not be a bad idea.

17. Eric Ellis

Eric Ellis Bit poster

Parallels version 4 does not seem to support this feature yet unless I'm missing how to configure it. Is there any update from the developers on when/if/how it might be supported?

To be clear, the feature I am looking for (as requested by the original poster) is the ability to remap all methods of launching the default mail application in Windows to use the default Mac mail application. This is different from only supporting the default "mailto" link application which can successfully be changed in Parallels Desktop to open Mail.app on the Mac. I think Otoc has confused the issue by discussing an application which might specifically request Outlook and in that case, no it wouldn't make sense to open another application. However, one mechanism which many Windows applications use to open a mail program, especially when they need to send an attachment, is MAPI, which uses a different registry setting to register a default application. Parallels does not seem to allow registration of that application as far as I can tell.

18. otoc

otoc Member

perhaps I'm missing what you want to be able to do, but you can set up P4 to open mail in the default OSX application. Works for me in Word and internet apps.

The page where I set it up is Virtual Machine/Configure.../Internet Applications

The screen shot is attached. You can make that change on the fly while the client VM is active and it does not require a reinstall of Tools.

Attached Files:

19. otoc

otoc Member

I stand corrected, please disregard my previous post as it does not work with MAPI via the the FILE/Send email menu.

I messed up in my haste. My apologies. I was hoping the post would show up before I had to run off.

I tried a quick check for a work around as found below for setting up the MAPI client app, but time didn't allow a full try to see if Windows would even recognize Mail on the OSX side.
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/112133

20. Matt matiasek

Matt matiasek Bit poster

Entourage on quickbooks

I am currently using Parallels 4 to run quickbooks and am trying to change the default email for sending invoices from outlook to entourage.

Thanks
    Matt