Vista freezing during boot process with b3

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by kshusker, Dec 30, 2006.

1. kshusker

kshusker Member

Has anyone had a problem where a Vista image which worked fine in the past will freeze during the boot process with beta 3?

My Vista image will start booting fine, but always at some point during boot (at the point whent he green bar is at the bottom) will hang.

I am able to boot into safe mode of Vista fine, and I did this and installed the latest Parallels tools in case that was the issue, but it didn't fix the problem.

Anyone else experience this, or have any suggestions to fix it?

Thanks!

2. kshusker

kshusker Member

I should add that I tired the trick of switching acceleration to "normal" and that made no difference. I also tried turning acceleration off entirely, and that made no difference either. Still hangs the same on my Mac Pro.

I have to turn vt-x off entirely to get it to work, but of course if I do that, it is too slow to actually use :)

3. pmalos

pmalos Bit poster

Same here, no solution yet. I've noticed that Safe Boot succeeds, but Safe Boot with Networking does not. I've tried monkeying with Parallel's network settings, to no avail.

4. maratino

maratino Bit poster

Same problem for me. Vista rc1 boots only in safe mode after updating parallels tools.

5. mcornes

mcornes Junior Member

Yes, my install also now only works with VT-X turned off. Firstly I thought it was the Cisco client I had just installed. However, I'll try that again now I've got VT-x turned off and I can boot Vista again. Seems to be a problem in the tools, as an old RC image I had worked until I updated the parallels tools again.

Any ideas Parallels team ?

6. mark@markandshannan.com

mark@markandshannan.com Bit poster

Same here as well

I also have an identical problem, an older vista VM will boot but the one I updated with the latest tools stops about 1/2 way through booting and parallels sits taking 100% cpu until I force it to quit.

--
    Mark

7. kissNrockme

kissNrockme Bit poster

yes same with me as well... when vista was actually open did the parallels tools keep quitting for you?i think they just quit and you can't do stuff right ... like i couldn't shut down vista either.

8. blazewon22

blazewon22 Bit poster

I just got the same issue. Updated to Beta 3 last night and new tools. Worked fine until I rebooted today. Fortunately I had a backup of the image, but its weird.

9. mcornes

mcornes Junior Member

Do we have any further progress with this ? I am still affected by this problem in the new 3120 build ? Anyone else ?

10. prowler

prowler Bit poster

11. scottgintheuk

scottgintheuk Bit poster

Freezing Issue

Hi

I have the same issue - freezes on bootup, with the green bar not moving, like you, Safe mode works fine.

Funny thing is, this image worked last night with the same setup (same Ver of Paralell Tools etc)

Looking forward to a fix.......

One question, does anyone know if, when reinstalling MS Vista in a new VM, and during Windows Activation, does your machine send a different 'identity' of you machine, or is it always the same?

Regards

12. mcornes

mcornes Junior Member

Awesome it worked, props to prowler.

13. foxfire235

foxfire235 Bit poster

indeed, a good fix! Thanks Prowler

14. gabester

gabester Bit poster

Just quit Parallels

Not quite a fix, but I found in my case at least that simply quitting Parallels (placing the running VM into a "suspended" state) and then relaunching it got the VM booting again from where it seemed locked up.

It's not a fix, it's a workaround; and I hope it's not causing more trouble in the long-run. But it's worked 9 out of 10 times...
    g=