Can't backup Boot Camp

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by scotto, May 20, 2009.

1. scotto

scotto Member

I've been trying to back up my Boot Camp partition before upgrading to Parallels 4. Unfortunately Winclone is failing (in the same place every time). I ran chkdsk successfully from within a native Boot Camp startup. Any thoughts?

Here's the failure message from the Winclone log:
    ----------------------
    PERCENT:47.140537
    hdiutil: create failed - Input/output error
    return value of hdiutil create -puppetstrings -srcdevice "/dev/disk0s3" "/Volumes/SWF Time Capsule/Winclone images/Winclone Boot Camp 5-18-09.winclone/Windows" 1>&2 is 256

hdiutil create -puppetstrings -srcdevice "/dev/disk0s3" "/Volumes/SWF Time Capsule/Winclone images/Winclone Boot Camp 5-18-09.winclone/Windows" 1>&2 did not complete successfully
    cleaning up: Mounting Disk
    Volume on /dev/disk0s3 mounted
    Tue May 19 01:32:51 EDT 2009
    --------------------------

2. voobrajulia

voobrajulia Member

If you want to make a backup because you worry about upgrade process that converts Virtual Machine, you can avoid it in the following way:

- uninstall Parallels Tools;
    - delete Virtual Machine based on Boot Camp;
    - upgrade to Parallels Desktop 4.0;
    - create new Virtual Machine based on your existing Windows Boot Camp.

3. scotto

scotto Member

Thank you for the lower-risk upgrade path. I'd still like to make a backup, for plenty of good reasons. Can anyone help?

4. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

Apparently you're using a Time Capsule, which means you're probably doing this wirelessly, try make the backup to a disk connected directly by cable to the computer (firewire, usb or an internal disk).

Last edited: May 20, 2009
  5. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

Make sure you have enough space on the target disk.

6. scotto

scotto Member

The target disk reports 327 GB free, which is much bigger than the Boot Camp partition. I'd have to buy a new wired disk to do the non-wireless experiment. Does the fact that it failed three times at exactly the same point make the wireless explanation less likely? Also that I successfully used Winclone to backup this partition to the same Time Capsule some months ago?

7. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

Input/output error seems to be an inability to read or write correctly. Make sure you have the latest version of Winclone, contact the developer of Winclone and explain the problem. Winclone just uses commonly available tools, what seems to be failing is hdiutil which comes with OS X.

8. scotto

scotto Member