Turning off download update reminders

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by TucsonTom, May 15, 2009.

1. TucsonTom

TucsonTom Member

I have my preferences set to look for updates weekly. However, I get a reminder to download the 4.0.3844 update every few hours. I've looked at the forums and decided to wait to download this update. How can I get the annoying reminders to stop?

2. Srinivasulu.V

Srinivasulu.V Hunter

Hello,

Kindly launch Parallels in the Parallels Desktop -> Preferences -> Update
    In the update pane uncheck the option "check for updates". Restart your mac.

After restarting check for the update notification. Now you can check the option for update and give a specific period.

3. TucsonTom

TucsonTom Member

I did this a long time ago and I put in a check for update weekly time period. But I still keep getting the reminder several times every day.

4. Bopanna I G

Bopanna I G Hunter

Hello,

Please, quit Parallels Desktop, open your home folder, go to Library -> Preferences and drag-and-drop the file

com.parallels.updater.plist

to your Macintosh desktop.

Restart Parallels Desktop and go to check for updates in preferences once again and change the preferences.

Thank you.

5. TucsonTom

TucsonTom Member

There is no com.parallels.updater.plist file in the library folder. Nor does spotlight find this file anywhere on my system. I'm going to try simply unchecking the "check for updates box" to see what that does. Anyway, I'll update when I no longer see the issues with 10.5.7.

6. Peter Rock

Peter Rock Bit poster

why is it necessary to restart the mac just to make the update check go away? all other programs I use that do periodic and automatic update checks can be turned off WITHOUT restarting the mac. can parallels include this as a fix for future versions?
    thanks,
    PR

7. Peter Rock

Peter Rock Bit poster

I did restart my mac and the update reminders persist. any advice on how to get parallels to stop this?
    thanks
    PR