Installing Parallel Tools on Centos 5.x

Discussion in 'Linux Virtual Machine' started by Filmo, May 20, 2009.

1. Filmo

Filmo Bit poster

Just installed Centos 5.0 VM on Parallels 4.0

Does anybody have a step by step guide for installing Parallel Tool on this specific distro.

The information in the Parallels user guide doesn't seem to work for me:

after I umount the cdrom with "umount /dev/hdb",

I then have tried "mount -o exec /dev/hdb /media/cdrom" and "mount -o exec /dev/hdb "/media/Parallels Tools"" and get the following error:

mount: mount point /media/cdrom does not exit, etc.

(I'm attempting both as 'root')

2. DavidMLewis

DavidMLewis Member

Hi,

First, run the VM's software update until you don't get any more updates. Personally, I took a snapshot here. Set SELinux to disabled and restart the VM. Log in as root. Select Install Parallels Tools from the Virtual Machine menu, and Parallels will mount the disk image in the VM's DVD drive. Create a folder on your desktop, and copy everything in the DVD to it. Open a terminal, cd to the copied folder, and do a chmod +x * there; you can be more selective but you don't have to. Then run the setup program. Once it's finished, you can delete the folder if you want. The DVD must still be mounted when you run it, by the way. Finally, re-enable SELinux and restart the VM, which will take a few minutes while SELinux tags everything again.

This is all from memory, but the memory is fairly recent so it shouldn't be far off. I did it on CentOS 5.3, so if you're correct that you installed 5.0 it might be slightly different.

Best,
    David

3. HeikoB

HeikoB Bit poster

Hello,

how to Set SELinux to disabled ? i am not able to install the tools within centos 5.3
    thanks for help

4. HeikoB

HeikoB Bit poster

ok for me selinux is disabled, so this is not the solution for my, thanks anyway.

5. DavidMLewis

DavidMLewis Member

How to turn SELinux off or on

To change the SELinux settings, log in as root, and go to System->Administration->Security Level and Firewall. You will see an SELinux tab, and it's set to Enforcing by default. Set it to Disabled and restart the VM. Don't forget to set it back once you're done.

Best,
    David

6. DavidMLewis

DavidMLewis Member

Don't forget to copy the contents of the Parallels Tools DVD to a folder on your desktop and change the permissions to execute. You need to have read/write access to the installation directory, and you can't get that on the DVD image under CentOS 5. What error are you seeing?

David

7. Mikhail

Mikhail Bit poster

I did exactly what you mentioned here. My mouse is not trapped inside of VM anymore. The resize works if I resize the window within a small window, but it will never resize to the full screen.
    What can I do to make it work?

I did not see any errors when installed Parallels Tools.
    CentOS 5.3
    MacOs 10.5.7
    iMac 24''

8. DavidMLewis

DavidMLewis Member

Hi,

First, check the configuration of your VM and make sure that its video memory is set high enough to display the largest screen you'll have available. That seems like the most likely source of your problem. Then when you log in, check the Screen Resolution Preferences and verify that the drop-down menu shows resolutions high enough.

Best,
    David

9. Mikhail

Mikhail Bit poster

it helped. It is kind of weird that vm has these default values. Development team should consider changing them.
    Thank you very much.