Coherence, Bootcamp, Tools mouse or video driver

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by Atomic_Fusion, Dec 18, 2006.

1. Atomic_Fusion

Atomic_Fusion Hunter

Thanks to some random reading on the forum I found a helpful hint from JOEM about getting Tools installed on the Bootcamp VM after loading it up in Parallels. So I've been able to get a feel for Coherence now, which is great. Unfortunately, I'm experiening a problem that prevents it from working. I initially thought the mouse driver was getting correupted whenever I wanted to go into Coherence mode, but after some more dinking around, I notice that if I change the XP's resolution at all, the same problem occurs: the mouse locks into a bee-line path toward the lower right of the screen.

I don't know if this is a video driver problem or a mouse problem.
    When I uninstall Tools, the problem goes away, but of course then I have no Tools.
    I've re-installed Tools, the mouse driver separately, and the video driver separately, but the problem won't go away.

One thing I've noticed is that when I shut down Windows, and the screen changes to the "Shutting down Windows" screen, the mouse get unlocked. And similarly, when Windows first loads but is still loading, the mouse will function properly until something is loaded that locks it in a bee-line to the corner of the screen (from the middle of the window).

Any suggestions would be wonderful.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2007
  2. janeshj

janeshj Bit poster

Im having the same problem... any suggestions on how to make it right? Using win2k on macbook (white).

Looks like the mouse gets stuck everytime i use anything that uses video drivers --- like resizing the parallels window; or, trying the coherence mode...

Pls help

3. Atomic_Fusion

Atomic_Fusion Hunter

Interestingly, if the mouse locks up, I can go down to the lower right of the Parallels windows and select the USB icon. When I select Optical Mouse, the mouse motion resumes in Windows XP, but I'm locked inside the VM (can't go back out to OS X) until I shutdown the VM and the OS X Password box appears again. I wonder if OS X popped up a dialog box like that, while I was working and locked in XP, would the mouse also activate in OS X at that time, and allow me to freely flow from both environments again? :rolleyes:

Last edited: Jan 5, 2007
  4. Atomic_Fusion

Atomic_Fusion Hunter

Fusion wrote: "I wonder if OS X popped up a dialog box like that, while I was working and locked in XP, would the mouse also activate in OS X at that time, and allow me to freely flow from both environments again?"
    ===

It doesn't appear so. I Apple-Q'd Parallels, which made a Parallels requester pop-up (maybe it's not the same as the Finder popups, though) and I did not have pointer control in OS X.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2007
  5. janeshj

janeshj Bit poster

My windows is totally useless now -- still no help from the parallels team... wonder what i shd be doing... such a waste of money now... i event sent a parallels report -- No response yet...

My mouse gets stuck inside the parallels VM which contains Win2K installation... the problem seems to be a video driver problem, as all this happens when i try to

1) resize window
    2) go to full screen mode
    3) try to get into coherence mode

etc...

which seem to be vide-driver-intensive tasks... and hence this whole thing could be a vide driver problem !

6. jtludwig

jtludwig Bit poster

I've been having this same problem too...my mouse gets stuck inside and then the window won't resize properly either. The only fix I've come up with so far (and it only works sometimes) is to uninstall and then reinstall parallel tools.

Has anyone figured out any solutions yet?

Thanks!!

7. Atomic_Fusion

Atomic_Fusion Hunter

What are you using for the setup? I have a 17" Macbook Pro with Core Duo 2.16ghz
    My OS version is 10.4.8 and updates as of yesterday, all intalled prior to installing the Parallels 3106 BETA.

I'm just wondering if this is happening on only a select group of machines.

I don't have any problems with regular VMs, just Bootcamp VM. I used to have the exact same symptoms as you two, but after re-installing OS X, I can successfully go from full screen mode to windowed mode without the mouse pointer freezing! Only changing screen resoltions locks the pointer now, and I haven't tried Coherence because I got tired of testing it. (it seems to be like a novelty "OH WOW" item that does little to make my experience better anyways)

8. psyck01

psyck01 Junior Member

Guys, please remember before you trash the Parallels team, that this is a BETA and thus EXPECTED to have bugs. If these bugs are preventing you from doing what you want/need to do, don't use the beta! Go to build 1970, which was 100% stable for many people, and don't use the beta until it becomes a full release (which it will). Parallels is working as hard as they can to fix these problems, but if you're using the beta you need to accept that there will be problems and not blame the team.