Beta 4 - Macbook Pro bridged networking with en1 (wireless) problem

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by VTMac, Apr 18, 2006.

1. serv

serv Forum Maven

VTMac,

We've no luck reproducing your problem yet. But we're working on it.
    Could you please check if your router has some sort of statistics report
    and see if it shows any difference when your networking is working or broken?

2. Daemon

Daemon Bit poster

Any net access from VM causes an Ethernet link loss on Mac OS X

Whenever any network access is tried from the VM, Mac OS X loses the Ethernet link (using the bridged Ethernet interface). When that happens, the Mac OS X Network Preferences panel shows the Ethernet interface inactive, as if the network cable had been unplugged.

After a while (10-30 seconds) without network activity from the VM, Mac OS X regains the Ethernet link.

I did the tests using VMs running FreeBSD 5.4 and Windows 98. For example, a simple ping from the VM running FreeBSD causes the Ethernet link loss. Obviously there is no way to access the network from the VMs.

This problem began with Beta4 (I did not install Beta3, and Beta2 worked just fine). It continues with Beta5.

3. serv

serv Forum Maven

Daemon,

Could you please check if your VM got the same IP address as your Mac OS?

4. Daemon

Daemon Bit poster

I am not using DHCP; both VMs (FreeBSD 5.4 and W98SE) have their own and unique IP addresses.

I forgot to mention that the iMac is connected to a Cisco Catalyst switch. Perhaps the switch is detecting some weird thing when a VM accesses the network, and disables the port temporarily. Unfortunately I cannot log into the switch in order to view the logs.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2006
  5. jam

jam Bit poster

I am having problems with networking:

Namely:
    - Networking works for unencrypted networks however I'm seeing problems where the host and guest get the IP address and it breaks networking on the host side

- On my home network I use WPA and networking does not work

Networking does work = I'm using the default networking set-up for Ubuntu trying to fetch an IP using DHCP.

There's lots of variables here. So root of the issue could be some pairing of guest OS vs various combination of guest network configurations, network set-up and the various flavors of secured wireless networks...

6. noig

noig Bit poster

Have you tied Autopatcher in xp guest OS?

7. noig

noig Bit poster

Autopatcher in xp guest OS

Have you tried Autopatcher in xp guest OS?
    Any success?

Appologies; the first post got send to early.

8. dschneiter

dschneiter Junior Member

Where to get Beta 4?

Although I'm a registered customer and I always participated in beta testing, I haven't seen any announcement for a beta 4.

Where to get it from? How was the availability communicated?

Thank you!

9. PubGuy

PubGuy Hunter

Same here ... can't seem to locate a download for it ???

10. Jazzer

Jazzer Bit poster

This thread was from April of last year.