All around hal.dll we go!

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by dkaleky, May 27, 2009.

1. dkaleky

dkaleky Member

I should have put this on Twitter for my life the last 24 hrs.

I started this 2 nights ago, decided to try to upgrade to 4.0.

Quickly ran into an install program error, that I had to do it manually --- something to do with a missing or corrupt hal.dll on my bootcamp XP drive.

That is hard to fix as no one has a clear answer and I tried a few. XP Repair, XP new install in another directory and then copy the hal.dll from there to the original install, check the boot.ini.

Mind you I needed to make a slipstream with SP3 as well b/c thats what I have.

Nothing worked, so I decided to bite the bullet and reinstall XP and like magic no more hal.dll problems.

I could boot into windows at startup which I couldn't do before, b/c of the hal.dll.

I am soooo happy now, and I start to reinstall my programs one at a time. Many hours have passed since I started this, almost a whole day.

I decide to first put Parallel 3.0 back before 4.0 as it was always stable which I did.

It's now 10:45 PM and for whatever reason I was doing something and had to have macbook rebooted .

And for whatever reason it started to boot in windows.

And what did I see at boot time??? You guessed it...... corrupt or missing hal.dll EEEEEEEEEEEEEEHHHHHHH!

Now I am not that stupid, I had a backup of my XP before I messed 24 hours and got nowhere. I restored it, 3.0 works fine and 4.0 can kiss me where the sun don't shine.

So it seems from all of this that 3.0 messes up the hal.dll and I would say it messed it up right from the start.

2. galochka

galochka Hunter

3. dkaleky

dkaleky Member

how do i "Boot VM from Windows Installation CD"

4. dkaleky

dkaleky Member

How do I boot in VM ???? from CD to do what it says???

5. estrelnikov

estrelnikov Parallels Team

Click Configure on virtual machine window -> Boot Order tab -> move CD-ROM above the Hard Disk -> clikc OK. Then insert Windows CD and launch the virtual machine.

6. dkaleky

dkaleky Member

This procedure to copy the hal from cd does not work either.

I still have a corrupted hal.

To summarize

1. I always had a problem with corrupt hal
    2. I installed a new XP on bootcamp and it worked fine
    3. I installed Parallels 3.0 and it corrrupted the hal
    4. to copy hal from XP cd does not help- hal is still corrupt

7. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

Now is the appropriate time to do a Repair Install with windows xp cd with sp3 slipstreamed on it.

8. dkaleky

dkaleky Member

I did that

I did everything. And as soon as I put Parallels 3.0 back on, hal.dll corrupts.

9. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

That's some weird problem, is this the latest version of PDM 3?

10. estrelnikov

BTW it's not clear to me why did you install Parallels Desktop 3.0 back after the restore? As far as I understood you were going initially to upgrade to 4.0

11. dkaleky

dkaleky Member

it is the latest 3.0 but it happened from the beginning as well

12. dkaleky

dkaleky Member

I did 3 first b/c i read all the problems with 4, so I figured I would be safe with a good install of 3 with a fixed hal.dll, then try 4.

But as I said , 3 corrupted the brand new install of XP amd hal.dll, and after 24 hrs of wasted time, I came here

13. dkaleky

dkaleky Member

Anyway, I am trying a Repair now, as last time I wasn't able to actually do a repair, just a new install ( repair just didnt show as an option, it happens...)

14. estrelnikov

Thank you for clarifying, let me notice that the latest 3844 build of the version 4.0 is quite stable

15. isimms

isimms Bit poster

Hmm, I've tried all sorts of things to resolve the hal.dll issues with my install to no avail unfortunately. My situation is this:
    I have Windows XP SP3 installed to an external hard-drive dock as a boot-camp installation (if I want to actually boot my computer with it though I need to put it into one of the four occupied internal slots). Up until this point I've never really need to boot to it, and have just been using VMWare Fusion to access it, as I got that when I bought my machine.

I have since got a copy of Parallels, as part of the MacUpdate 2009 bundle, and figured I'd try to set-up the drive so that I can use it in VMWare or Parallels. However, Parallels goes through its configuration step, gets to manual-configuration, then throws the popular hal.dll error. At this point shutting down the VM and trying again goes through the whole configuration step-again. The drive does however still work just fine with VMWare Fusion though.

I'm thinking it might have something to do with the windows boot-file, but I don't know what I would need to change to make it work in my case.