Spinning red indicator in dock icon, can't do anything

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by bunner bob, Jan 25, 2009.

1. bunner bob

bunner bob Bit poster

I'm working on a system that has Parallels 4 (v4.0.3540 - preinstalled) and Windows XP Home. Running on a recent iMac. It seems to have worked fine until now, but now all I get is the spinning red "gear" cursor in the dock icon and a black window in Parallels. There was a flash of a Windows XP logo when I started, then the black window. Under the Virtual Machine menu "Suspend" is selected, all other options are grayed out (it's set to suspend on quit - and normally seems to work fine).

Quitting/restarting Parallels just takes me back to the same place, as does force-quitting Parallels.

Why is it stuck, and how do I get it un-stuck?

- Bob

2. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

Could you please post a screenshot here?

3. bunner bob

bunner bob Bit poster

It's not my machine so - not at the moment - but it looks just like the gray round gear-like moving icon that appears when you start up Mac OS X, before the login screen appears (like this. Except it's red, and it's over the Parallels dock icon. I think this is a pretty standard icon - it appears whenever Parallels 4 starts up or shuts down - I think (I don't know - I have Parallels 3 on my machine - thank god!)

4. John@Parallels

try following in Terminal
    cd Documents
    rm -rf .parallels-vm-directory

5. bunner bob

bunner bob Bit poster

What does that do? Not delete the virtual machine?

6. bunner bob

bunner bob Bit poster

Can you please illuminate this a bit - what am I doing with that command?

7. John@Parallels

it deletes links to virtual machines, including non-existent or corrupted links

8. owenmsn@gmail.com

owenmsn@gmail.com Bit poster

Same problem

Hello,

I too am having the same symptoms described above.

I suspended a running VM, and I don't think it suspended properly. Now when I open PDM4, the screenshot for my VM is all black, and the ONLY available option under the 'Virtual Machine' menu is 'Suspend' all others are grayed out.

I have deleted the .parallels-vm-directory.

I can not boot my VM, is there a way to force it to a STOPPED status?

Thanks,

Owen

9. estrelnikov

estrelnikov Parallels Team

Try deleting .mem and .sav files from the virtual machine's root folder -- by default /Documents/Parallels/VM name.pvm -- Ctrl+click it and choose Show package contents.

10. Christian Bezdeka

Christian Bezdeka Bit poster

Me too. I have the red spinning thing in the dock icon and a black window. Windows did fine til now.

11. dzurn

dzurn Bit poster

I've got a suspended VM, with the black screen and spinning red dock icon. I found and deleted the ".mem" and ".sav" files, but nothing has changed after starting Parallels up again.

I really need to get the VM working again, this is the first day using version 4 so I'm a little worried I might lose some work.