Intel XD Technology ( that NX bit )

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by Rastikan, May 26, 2009.

1. Rastikan

Rastikan Junior Member

I am a Macbook Pro (Intel) user and am currently debugging a software I wrote for Windows. I figured there was some issue involving the CPU NX bit (the CPU No eXecute bit, Intel calls this 'XD bit' or 'XD Technology')

A.) Anyone know whether that hardware bit is set or not by default on a Macbook Pro and if not, how to turn it on, whether OSX would run at all with it active.

B.) Whether Parallels desktop guess OS virtual CPU can make use of something similar?

In order to investigate that particular issue, I need to work from another machine, a PC that is, but I rather work on my Macbook. I'd like to know if I could continue working from my MBPro activate that CPU hardware feature so my virtual Windows XP would take advantage of it and display the same bug I am experiencing on that other machine.

Thank you all,
    R.

Last edited: May 27, 2009
  2. estrelnikov

estrelnikov Parallels Team

It's on by default in Mac OS Leopard, to check if your CPU supports this option you can use e.g. SiSoft Sandra trial or others -- launch the application, choose CPU and see if XD/NX option is enabled. To enable it in Windows right-click My Computer -> Properties -> Advanced tab -> Performance -> Data Execution Prevention (turn on and restart Windows).

3. Rastikan

Rastikan Junior Member

Hi there,

when you say 'To enable it in Windows ...' you DO talk about a virtual Windows machine right?

My virtual Windows XP SP3 machine executes from Parallels Desktop 4.0.3844. The DEP option in Windows always reports: "Your computer's processor does not support hardware-based DEP..."

As a reminder, I am running on a Macbook Pro 2.5Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo ( in case it makes a difference )

4. Rastikan

Rastikan Junior Member

I know of the Sandra tools very well on the PC but what about Mac? Is there something similar, as detailled for Mac?