Serious graphics rendering problem

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by ehamburg, Aug 23, 2006.

1. ehamburg

ehamburg Member

I have encountered the following problem that makes Parallels Desktop for Mac running an XP SP2 VM, specifically running Front Page 2003, problematic. I am running Parallels on a MBP.

In managing Sharepoint Portal sites I need to use FrontPage to edit web pages. I have found a number of problems in the way the web pages are rendered in FP under Parallels. Specifically when editing pages the HTML rendered in FP (design mode) is sometimes inaccurate and inconsistent. When the tables embedded in some web pages are displayed not all rows are shown. In other cases in scrolling up and down on the editing window content is sometimes displayed and sometimes not, but then reappears when scrolling up or down again.

This was driving me crazy until I installed FP on a Windows PC and found that the problem does not appear in the native Windows environment.

I thought that I had all applications working flawlessly under the Parallels/Windows VM, and could put my Windows PC aside, but this problem is serious enough for me that I will need to keep a Windows PC in operation for these purposes until/if this problem is fixed.

I did a search of the forum for "graphics rendering" but got no hits.

I would be happy to supply more information if it would be helpful in solving the problem.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2006
  2. VTMac

VTMac Pro

Is this with the release build or the latest beta?

3. ehamburg

ehamburg Member

Sorry, should have included that info.

I experienced the problem with the production release, but am currently running the new beta, to see if anything changed. Still having the problem

4. ehamburg

ehamburg Member

Problem worked around - Frustrated with Paralells Support

I have reported this problem to Parallels via this forum, and twice via the in program problem reporting mechanism. I have never received a response from Parallels. Earlier this week I decided to purchase a support incident so I could speak to someone at Parallels. After purchasing the incident three days ago, I have placed two calls but have not gotten a call back from a support rep.

In the mean time I have found a work around for the problem. If you go to the attached link you can see how it works:

1) The first screen shot shows how the screen appears correctly when using a real Windows PC
    2) The second screen shot shows how the screen appears incorrectly when opened in Parallels
    3) The third screen shot shows the screen appearing correctly using the "work around" of slightly dragging the application window to a larger size.

There is obviously a bug in Parallels, but with this work around I am now confident that for all the things I use Windows for in my work, that I no longer need to depend on a real Windows PC and that is great. Perhaps Parallels will fix it ...

Also earlier today I sent a message to Parallels requesting that they credit my account for the support incident that I purchased. I received an automated response that " Our support engineer will contact you within 3 business days." I see nothing in the messages that I received after purchasing the incident or on the on-line form used to purchase the incident about a three day time frame for response.

Parallels is a great product and their company is going through growing pains, which I can understand, but they really do have a ways to go in keeping existing customers with problems happy.

Cheers,

Eric

5. COBeav

COBeav Bit poster

I would recommend you contact your credit card company and dispute the charge. You should also contact your Better Business Bureau. It doesn't matter if they are a small company, if they are CHARGING for support and don't deliever then it's fraud.

6. ehamburg

ehamburg Member

Parallels has infomed me that they are issuing a credit for the suport incident I purchased.

My two attempts to place a support call have not responded in a call back.