Virtual disk does not work

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by ignas2526, May 27, 2009.

1. ignas2526

ignas2526 Bit poster

Hello,
    For unknown reason i cant see virtual disk of my freshly installed Windows XP on my Mac OS X desktop, nor in 'DEVICES' menu in finder.
    Current in my Windows XP Shared Folders configuration is enabled:
    From My Computer on Windows XP i can see "Home on '.psf'" and "Host on '.psf'" network drives.
    Also on Mac OS X i can see from Firefox Windows XP disk C on following address:
    Virtual OS is Windows XP Professional SP3 (latest Parallels Tools installed)
    Parallels Desktop version is 4.0.3844
    Mac OS X Version 10.5.7

I have another Windows XP Professional SP3 (not same Installation CD) which successfully shows me virtual disk in 'DEVICES'.
    Any ideas how to fix that, or is it Parallels bug?

Last edited: May 27, 2009
  2. estrelnikov

estrelnikov Parallels Team

Reinstall MacFuse (System Preferences -> MacFuse -> Remove, then install it again). If it did not help try reinstalling Parallels Desktop completely as described in KB article. Use the latest build installer

3. ignas2526

ignas2526 Bit poster

I tryed to remove & install MacFuse which no success.
    I downloaded latest build.
    I followed steps in KB article (double checked, i did everything like in KB article) i still cant see cant see virtual disk on my Mac OS X desktop, nor in 'DEVICES' menu in finder.

4. supertechkid

supertechkid Bit poster

Well, I was having the exact same issue after I wiped my computer and did a fresh install of Leopard on my computer. I downloaded and installed PD4 build 4.0.3844. After showing PD4 where my VM was located, it didn't take long to notice the virtual drive was not mounting on my desktop. I thought maybe I did something wrong, that it was because I was using the VM prior to redoing my computer, or something to that nature. I verified all my settings were correct, checked for updates for PD4, verified my computer was completely up to date, re-installed Parallels Tools in my VM, restarted my computer multiple times, and then started looking to see if I could find any more information on the issue.

I not only happened across this thread, but one other thread (located here), relating to this issue. Seeing as how this thread was fresher, and had response from the Parallels Team, I decided to post my findings here, and refer the other thread to this one.

In any event, I think I've given enough background info on the topic, so I'll explain how I fixed the issue. After verifying that the virtual drive was mounting to the computer, and it was just missing from the desktop, it seemed to me that it was a setting not being read correctly. As it turns out, deselecting the "Mount virtual disks to Mac OS X desktop", clicking "OK" to save the settings, going back into the VM configuration and reselecting the option produced the message about having to modify settings for "Finder" shown in the attachment.

With these findings, it appears that the issue is in fact NOT a Parallels Desktop issue at all, but rather Mac OS X's Finder settings not matching PD's. While I do not know how hard it would be to implement, it seems that a more permanent, as well as invisible solution to the end user, would be to have PD update the Finder settings each time a VM with the setting to mount the disk to the desktop is opened.

Attached Files:

5. RimvydasZ

RimvydasZ Bit poster

But I still do not understand - is it possible to see mounted virtual disk on mac desktop or not? I have show leopard and latest version of PD and still can't see any virtual disks on my mac desktop:(