Tools for Boot Camp

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by psyck01, Jan 6, 2007.

1. psyck01

psyck01 Junior Member

Well, I'm an idiot. I installed parallel tools for bootcamp before getting build 3106 (thought I needed them for some reason). Then, when it told me to uninstall them, I couldn't figure out how (PLEASE put an uninstaler WITH the download), so I deleted the "parallels tools" file and all folders I could find with the word "parallels" in them. It still told me to delete them, so I thought I'd give it another shot and went to reinstall the tools. That's when I realised that you re-download the installer to uninstall (uhhhh...????? Would be nice to be told that, and better to get an uninstaller with the dl in the first place...). Now, however, it won't uninstall because it can't find the files I deleted (cause they're gone), but it won't reinstall. ARG!!!!! Pleaes help!

Edit: Did a system restore and fixed this problem, but had others later, so just did a full windows reinstall. Problem solved.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2007
  2. Atomic_Fusion

Atomic_Fusion Hunter

My friend,
    You've done a no-no in Windows. You should NEVER EVER EVER EVER delete application files off a Windows directory, in an attempt to uninstall it. You can do that with a Mac, but not Windows. Windows has a "registry" where more than just files establish whether an application is installed or not. While you have deleted files in one directory, the registry is telling Windows that the program is still installed.

OK OK, you already know this. Unfortunately, there is nothing you can do except re-install Windows. Normally if you want to get an application off Windows, and there is no bundled uninstall utility, you can use the Add/Remove Programs applet in the Control Panel. But now that the uninstall program can't find the files it needs to uninstall, your fate is sealed.

Sorry for your misfortune.

3. koolaidman

koolaidman Member

If you haven't emptied your Recycle Bin, you have a chance of restoring the files you deleted - open the Recycle bin and select all the parallels files and choose Restore the Selected items

4. psyck01

psyck01 Junior Member

Thanks guys, but I did a system restore (to before the install) and got it working. Had some problems later on that I couldn't fix, though, so I just did a complete reinstall. Consider this thread closed and thanks for the tips

5. lh99

lh99 Bit poster

FYI, I had some success removing Parallels tools by deleting the Parallels key in the Windows Registry. Search for previous posts by me for more info.