HOWTO: repair "broken" bootcamp xp installation after playing with 3094

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by triplex, Dec 28, 2006.

1. don montalvo

don montalvo Hunter

simple...rebuild your windows partition and restore your data...

http://forum.parallels.com/thread7110.html

PLEASE REMEMBER: this is a beta software, and like any other beta software you should treat it very carefully. Do not install this Beta 3 into the production environment yet. Do backup your virtual machines before trying them with Beta 3.

don

2. xyx

xyx Bit poster

MarcSchonbrun and others who have also been experiencing this issue after forgetting to remove the parallels boot camp tools from 3036 before trying the later betas: Have you been able to find a solution?

And to all you people on here who apparently has nothing better to do than to sit around SPAM the "IT'S A BETA, REINSTALL YOU LOSERZ!!111" *ahem*, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE STOP THE INSANITY.

I am PRETTY sure that 99% of us are perfectly aware of this. And we KNOW that the issue can be "resolved" by reinstalling and that we should have RTFM etc. We are simply trying to find a different, and perhaps, better solution to this issue.

3. don montalvo

don montalvo Hunter

animosity meets the pacifier. :) the warnings and disclaimers are clear...if you can't risk downtime or data loss, don't participate in the beta. that being said, animosity doesn't bring out the best in the developers or forum members.

don

4. triplex

triplex Junior Member

so,after having this modified boot.ini I have a working,but very unstable native win bootcamp install..it reboots for me several times a day without any messages... :(

Parallels!
    WE NEED AN UTILITY TO ROLL BACK ANY BOOTCAMP MODIFICATIONS,MADE BY PARALLELS DESKTOP FOR MAC BETA AND TOOLS FOR BOOTCAMP!!

5. don montalvo

don montalvo Hunter

i agree, it's the only glitch i've run into so far. i'm waiting for a fix (or a utility as you requested) before i wipe/rebuild my win bootcamp partition.

don

6. joem

joem Forum Maven

While I agree that an uninstall would be handy, the tool I've been using to avoid those problems is a backup. If I don't like what an installer does, I restore the backup.

Make a backup before doing anything you might want to undo, and includes ALL installations of anything.

Just the voice of long experience and lots of scars acquired by being a slow learner.

7. itseme

itseme Bit poster

Is it normal that my ntkopvs_.exe & halopvs_.dll are 0Kb small? These files are empty on my bootcamp installation. I have the no keyboard and mouse issue.

thx

8. jwfl2005

jwfl2005 Bit poster

ntfs

How do I edit a ntfs formatted bootcamp partiiton? I have tried using a boot disk but I can't find one that works with bootcamp. Any thoughts?

9. triplex

triplex Junior Member

I suppose you can use your xp installation cd to boot from.
    choose recovery console then

10. DaemonCollector

DaemonCollector Bit poster

If you have a fat32 partition the "Missing HAL.dll" issue is quite easy to solve. This is caused, at least in the cases that has happened to me, buy bootcamp trying to load the hardware profile for Parallels, which does not support ASPCI so it uses a different HAL. This is my Boot.ini.

[boot loader]

timeout=1

default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(3)\WINDOWS

[operating systems]

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Parallels configuration" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptOut

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(3)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect /kernel=ntkopvs_.exe /hal=halopvs_.dll

The default value is what the kicker is here, just change where it says partition(3) to what you want to boot from, in my case 3 being bootcamp, and 1 being paralells.

This isn't quite as easy from an NTFS partition as OSX can not modify the required file.

11. topalli

topalli Bit poster

Can't uninstall Parallels tools for boot camp

I had Boot camp running with parallels 3036. I had a problem with windows and reinstalled XP. I just installed boot camp on my mac and uninstalled 3036. I installed Parallels tools for boot camp (Parallels-Tools-Bcp-1.0.3.-win) I would now like to install parallels 3120 (I believe the latest beta). It says I need to uninstall parallels for boot camp first.

Parallels tools for boot camp is not listed under the add/remove hardware/software control panel. I rebooted in safe mode. No difference. How do I uninstall this crap. I may even want to uninstall parallels but would like to remove the tools for bootcamp. How do I do it???

12. wbrimhall

wbrimhall Bit poster

It's actually possible to do with an NTFS partition as well. Do the following:

1) Press 'alt' when booting to get the OS selector screen
    2) Select the Windows HD
    3) IMMEDIATELY, begin press F8 repeatedly -- until the Windows boot menu comes up.
    4) Select 'Boot Windows Normally'.
    5) Then, select the boot camp HW configuration (i.e. something like "Microsoft Windows XP Professional").

Then, once Windows has booted up, you can edit the boot.ini file.

(Note that, at least in my case on a MacBook, step 1 is MANDATORY. If you have Windows set as the default boot OS, you won't be able to press F8 to get to the Windows boot menu unless you manually go through the OS selector screen...)