Can't use printer with VM and OS X

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by Bruce Tarleton, Apr 4, 2009.

1. Bruce Tarleton

Bruce Tarleton Bit poster

I have Leopard 10.5 and am using Paralles 4.0 desktop for mac to run win XP. I have an epson Stylus Photo R320 USB printer that is installed on the MAC and works great. Run Paralles and it works great but if I leave the printer enabled on WinXP and try to get something to print from the MAC I get communication error. I tried just awhile ago to pause and resume the printer and it printed all of the pending jobs but I did have to remove it from VM.

Can you not run Paralles and use the printer in both systems without going to all that trouble?

I aslo have tried to install Paralles Tools but they don't show up anywhere that I can find.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2009
  2. desgael

desgael Pro

3. Bruce Tarleton

I tired installing it through add pinter connected to parallel port and both drivers would not make it print correctly. I have installed bonjour and it got almost to the end It saw the printer but at the very last told me I did not have sufficient access to my computer to install.

What now?

4. Bruce Tarleton

I uninstalled all drivers and tried to install to the parallel port as directed. Neither of the generic drivers listed would allow the printer to work right. I downloaded the bonjour for windows and ran as directed. It saw the printer and almost finished but at the last told me I did not have sufficient access to my computer to install selected printer. What now?

5. Bruce Tarleton

I figured it out and now have it working. I can print in both and they are both running at the same time.

Thanks!

6. RebeccaH

RebeccaH Bit poster

How did you fix it?? I cannot seem to figure it out. Boo.

7. RebeccaH

RebeccaH Bit poster

Nevermind! I fixed it too. - Had to reboot, that's all.

8. galochka

galochka Hunter

Hello RebeccaH,

When you connect the printer as USB device, you may iuse printer only on VM side or Mac side.

If you want to use them on Mac and Windows side you shoudl use Parallel Port or Apple bonjour:
    http://kb.parallels.com/en/4990 (Apple Bonjour)
    Or use Parallel Port (Configure -> Parallel Port -> connected and it shoudl be printer)
    In Prinetr and Faxed add printer (http://kb.parallels.com/en/5036 it si for Parallels Desktop 3.0 but will be usefull for Parallels Desktop 4.0 too)