Recover lost permanent activation key

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by ss2cire, Oct 31, 2007.

1. voobrajulia

voobrajulia Member

2. KenawN

KenawN Bit poster

I purchased a copy of Parallels out here in Vietnam only to find out that the key that I was provided with doesn't work. How can I resolve this?

3. HavardM

HavardM Bit poster

I have same problem.

My HD crashed, after which I tried out the new v5 Beta. Unfortunately it doesn't quite do the trick. In one program when rotating text it goes blank.

Now, trying to reinstall v3, I get the message that the activation code (written on the CD face) isn't valid.

4. BrucieR

BrucieR Bit poster

lost access key

Hi,
    I lost my activation key again. (Was in my email and that got lost recently)
    I may need to reinstall Parellels, beginning from v 3. I am currently upgraded to v4.

1- how do I upgrade (again) to v 4 from v 3?

2- what is my activation key?

Thank you!

5. RudiS

RudiS Bit poster

activating upgrade from 3.0 to 5.0 does not work

Hi,
    i bought 3.0 about 2,5 years and last week upgraded to snow leopard.
    my 3.0 key is registered under my account.
    yesterday i bought an upgrade package to 5.0.
    the 5.0 gets installed and accepts the registration key from the cd cover.
    however, then it requests the activation key for 3.0.
    when i enter this code, it tells me "this key can not be used ......."
    can not find anything about this in the forum ....
    any ideas ???
    thanks, i desperately need it to run ubuntu on my mac .....
    Rudi

6. Foxxy

Foxxy Bit poster

I dropped my laptop case into a puddle. . That destroyed my macbook, and with that i lost all my data. I didn't have the foresight to back my hard drive, so here I am, with a parallels disk, and no CD (i moved to a new apartment in downtown and seems to have been lost in transition). Having forked out the cash on my original purchase of the 5.0 software, I can't bring myself to buy it all over. If there is anyway I can somehow get a replacement activation key, as all i have left is the CD and a plastic clear wallet that i put the case into. I can't get any programs open to complete the project for work, and i am in serious need of some help.

Anything you can do, or any suggestions you can make would be greatly appreciated

Foxxy

7. Hobosuit

Hobosuit Bit poster

Help!

I have purchased parallels 6 upgrade but i bought parallels 5 at the mac store and i no longer have a serial number or activation and was not registered cause i didn't have internet ,what can i do?

8. Hobosuit

Hobosuit Bit poster

it says "Provide an activation Key for the previous version of parallels Desktop". which I no longer have in my possession can i return the upgrade and buy the regular one Because it cost me $49.99 and i really dont want to pay another $79.99.

9. CorniQ

CorniQ Bit poster

Won't accept a vsn 2.5 activation key

Parallels techs - please help! Just bought vsn 6.0, downloaded and installed, and entered the 6.0 vsn activation key.

Now as I enter the old vsn 2.5 key, it doesn't recognize it. Please help! (Hey, I actually have the old activation key!)

CorniQ

10. Maditaly

Maditaly Bit poster

Customer w/ activation keys for 2.5 & 3 trying to find key to activate 6

Dear Forum / Parallels,

I have 3.0 installed, but needed to upgrade my OS the latest and greatest from Apple. I purchased the appropriate 6.0 Upgrade (2.5 & 3.0) package. Upon activation it accepts my 6.0 key, but then asks for my original activation code. I have tried the 2 I have records for but both fail.

This is key to my business. Any guidance would be great! The new customer support setup is very difficult to navigate (used to be quite easy to get a knowledgeable and friendly Parallels person to help).

Thanks to all!

James

11. Bobzilla

Bobzilla Bit poster

Lost old activation key

I am in a similar situation as described above except I no longer have my Parallels 3.0 activation key at all, so I can't even send in the key replacement form in support services. I installed the 6.0 upgrade then once I was unable to activate it I got a trial activation key because I really need to use it for school and didn't have time to figure this out yet. I also went to look for my activation key in the licenses.xml file, but all that shows there is the trial activation key.
    Please help me recover my key so I can get this working permanently.

Thank you,

Bob

12. LiudmilaA

LiudmilaA Bit poster

Hello,

In such cases, please submit support requests to Customer Service and Licensing here:

http://www.parallels.com/support/request/

Customer Service representatives will do their best to assist you.

13. Kathleen R

Kathleen R Member

need activation key for reinstall--can't find sleeve

I purchased Parallels 5 in box from the Apple Store last April. After installing it, didn't get it all put back in sleeve so now do not have the sleeve with the activation code. My Mac was having crashes so it had to be erased.

I'm trying right now to get Parallels up & running, hoping to find a back up for last year's Turbo Tax so I can import it for this year. Was done on Windows side but hoping Time Machine may have backed it up since Windows backup gave error message so just did a mirror back up, but just want that out. & then to be able to use Parallels normally.

So I desperately need this now so I can finish getting Parallels set up so I can see if I can find the back up so I can get going on my taxes.

I will probably have to do another reinstall since even after the erase there have been some crashes so the plan is to replace hardware including HD.

I'm not positive that I completed the activation process by replying to the confirmation email, but before the erase it was showing it was an active copy registered to me.

14. LiudmilaA

LiudmilaA Bit poster

15. Kathleen R

Kathleen R Member

Actually there is a link that tells where to find it

About the only helpful thing about this suggestion was that when I went to fill out the support request form--which specifically says on the 2nd page that it is only for products purchased from the online store which I had clearly said mine wasn't--was a link there right above where the required product key is supposed to be entered.

So I couldn't have filled out a support request apparently since it requires the activation key which is what I was trying to get help in recovering, duh!

Anyway, the link to the article on where to find your product key is: http://kb.parallels.com/en/5680

It is stored in a file & that tells you where to find the file--in the library preferences Parallels, etc.

So fortunately my computer was backed up by Time Machine & I was able to find that file in the back up & copied it & entered.

now I have another issue, which I had before when I was trying to update to the latest build--before the erase. When I tried to register, it says it is registered to another user. So I don't know if that means I had already registered & somehow it thinks I'm a different person or what.

& interestingly enough I might not even have needed that since when I read the booklet further it said if the button appears on the right its because you already have a VM. Not sure how it knew I did, but looks like its ok & so far didn't even request me to reactivate Windows. I'll see about Outlook.

16. LiudmilaA

LiudmilaA Bit poster

17. Kathleen R

Kathleen R Member

If you had backed up it should be there--see above post

Check my post right above with the link to how to find it. You can't submit a support request without the activation key--it asks for it right there on the 2nd page. But if you had backed up while it was there, it stored it in a file & the link is in my post above, or right above where it asks for your activation key in the support request (that was is for earlier versions of Parallels but has a link to the later ones which is what I gave. It worked for me.

Time machine backups are great. You can actually find the info that was backed up, just like looking on your computer--unlike the windows backups that I'm not so sure about.

I hadn't backed up until I started having crashes & then went searching & found & bought one--then learned how to use Time machine. Really easy & it seems to back up the virtual machines as well if they are running during the backup.

18. LiudmilaA

LiudmilaA Bit poster

Dear Kathleen,

First of all, support request CAN be submitted without the Activation key for Parallels Desktop. Actiavtion key field is not obligatory and you can leave it empty.

Moreover, there is a special category 'I lost my actiavtion key'

under Customer Service and Licensing > Parallels Desktop

In case Riki did not make backups for his computer, it is possible that he will not be able to locate the key using the article you mentioned.

@Riki

Please try to use instructions given in the following article:

http://kb.parallels.com/en/5680

and if you are still not able to locate the key, please submit support request here:

http://www.parallels.com/support/request/

19. Kathleen R

Kathleen R Member

puzzled by response

I'm a bit puzzled by the response since I went to that link & for 1 thing it says it is only for product purchased or indended to be purchased from online store.

Also the field for activation key has an asterisk indicating a required field.

I didn't try it since I did discover the link right above the activation key field which did lead me to where mine had been backed up. But unless what that says there is wrong, this answer seems to be wrong--unless you are supposed to click for technical support. A bit confusing.

I went round & round on this earlier when i was trying to upgrade & finally found the CD but not the sleeve with the key, but then finally figured out how to update. Hope she finds the answer. & I hope she had backed up. Sometimes we don't think about it until we need to & then its sometimes too late.

20. PhillipParmly

PhillipParmly Bit poster

Same problem. Went from 6 to 7 and don't have the code for 6. Help!