Migrating from Existing Bootcamp Partition

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by Michael Jackson, Jun 8, 2009.

1. Michael Jackson

Michael Jackson Bit poster

I am trying to migrate an existing Bootcamp volume into a virtual machine. So I want Parallels to COPY the NTFS partition on another mac into a NEW virtual Hard drive. I have read lots of directions all over the internet and none seem to work. I have booted into Windows XP Pro (via bootcamp), installed the transporter agent and initiated the transporter on the Mac Side. When Transporter on the mac side finally sees the windows side and I start the migration I get an error that says the versions do not match. SO where can I find the Build numbers for each? Seems like on the windows side I have downloaded from the following page:

http://kb.parallels.com/en/4977

but none of those build/version numbers seem to match up with what I have on the mac side. I just downloaded Parallels last night as part of the MacUpate promo bundle.

So any help would be appreciated.

Mike Jackson

2. Srinivasulu.V

Srinivasulu.V Hunter

Hello Michael,

Which version and build of Parallels Desktop you are using?

3. Michael Jackson

Michael Jackson Bit poster

The latest version Parallels that was available on the day I posted the thread.

Since the advertised features do NOT actually work I decided to just uninstall parallels and stick with VirtualBox. I found the whole Parallels experience pretty bad overall.

1: Advertised features do not work: Parallels will NOT convert a Sun VirtualBox hard drive and VM into a Parallels VM.
    2: The Parallels web site is difficult to navigate with respect to finding the help section. I had to google to find these help forums

I would agree that the reverse argument that Parallels does indeed work is true. I just do not have another 8 hours to re-setup all my virtual machines which for me includes the actual installation and configuration of the operating systems, developer tools and compilation of 30 or so open source projects. This process takes about 8 hours per VM. If I could have migrated from VirtualBox then you would have had a customer but because Parallels simply will not either convert or import a VirtualBox hard drive file then moving to Parallels is simply out of the question.

Mike Jackson
    Principal Software Engineer
    BlueQuartz Software.

OS X 10.5.7 Intel running on MacPro Nehalem Xeon.