Shift or Space keys dont work in Counter-Strike

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by ebaydan777, Dec 14, 2008.

1. Paul Bensel

Paul Bensel Bit poster

I was providing the reference for full coverage, not saying it worked. :) Certainly didn't work for me at least.

Using Parallels, to run my boot camp partition on my unibody MacBook Pro 15".
    In "Lord of the Rings Online', holding down the shift key (when just running normally in Windows or windows under boot camp) will bring up a clickable command bar.
    When running my boot camp partition via parallels, I see a flicker when I release the shift key, so it matches the 'only seeing shift/ctrl/alt when you release the key' symptom.
    I found out yesterday (after trying the keyboard reinstall trick to no avail) that if I click the screen while holding the key down, the shift menu will appear and stick around until I release the key. The shift key itself works, because if I 'shift-2' or whatever, I will get the associated command. But anything that requires holding it down (such as using a drafting application, games, whatever) apparently hits this issue.

Could still be directX (the DirectInput part), because there's nothing that says -only- games have to use those APIs, but I fully understand it's probably not and is a global behavior.
    What confuses me about that was the dev who mentioned playing a game where he COULD hold shift and it would behave properly (as opposed to a toggle based control using the shift key). That was the implication that it works for some software and not others, which raised the spectre of DX9 vs DX9c for me.
    --
    Paul

2. Paul Bensel

Paul Bensel Bit poster

Mentioning connecting external keyboards made me try something different.

Pulled down Devices->USB->Apple Internal Keyboard / Trackpad and connected it (which plays mean with the host OS while it's connected).

While it was connected, the keyboard inside the VM changed to Apple Keyboard, and holding shift/ctrl/alt worked like it should.

Disconnecting the 'internal keyboard' from USB devices reverted me to "Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural PS/2 Keyboard" in Device Manager within Windows. Reinstalling that driver did me no good, and that driver does not work with holding shift/ctrl/alt(option) in this game. Yet the Apple Keyboard does.
    Reinstalling Parallels tools also did not seem to help, even after restoring defaults on the Parallels preferences keyboard menu.

I now have an (awkward) workaround... but that means it's not DX related at all, and all about how the Parallels Tools keyboard driver seems to be working. Ideas?
    --
    Paul

3. disco2000

disco2000 Bit poster

Unchecking "Ctrl+Shift to right click" option under Mouse in the preferences will fix this problem.

4. Paul D

Paul D Junior Member

Unchecking 'Ctrl+Shift to right click' DOES NOT help

"Unchecking 'Ctrl+Shift to right click' option under Mouse in the preferences" DOES NOT solve this issue for me.

Whether that check box is checked or unchecked, I get the same behavior as described throughout this topic.

I've even tried using the Generic keyboard setup and clearing all checkboxes--no amount of changing any keyboard options makes a difference. The only thing that does help, as has been discussed here, is attaching my USB keyboard directly to the virtual machine.