Install Windows 7 release from Update disk?

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by ParallelLot, Jun 28, 2009.

1. ParallelLot

ParallelLot Bit poster

I currently have Windows XP Professional SP3 installed and have a Windows XP Professional SP2 install disk. If I purchased the pre-order Windows 7 Professional Upgrade, currently discounted, will I be able to install it, or must I purchased an undiscounted full version of Windows 7 Professional?

2. nemodomi

nemodomi Bit poster

I have the same question. It would be nice to have an answer before the discount offer is rescinded (July 11 or earlier).

3. galochka

galochka Hunter

ParallelLot and nemodomi

As Parallels Desktop experientally supports Windows 7 and till official version Windows 7 is released, we will nottrecommend our customers to perform upgrade from Windows XP or Vista to Windows 7

But you may try to upgrade:

Back up your current machine (sipmly copy it to other location) and try to upgrade.

4. nemodomi

nemodomi Bit poster

Here's what I think: sooner or later, Parallels is likely to support Windows 7. It makes no sense to forego securing the discounted upgrade simply because there may be some glitches along the way. I'll keep using XP until it's clear that glitches have been minimized; then, I'll install the upgrade.

By the way, and FYI, Windows 7 Professional (but not Home Premium) will allow the user to "[run] many existing Windows XP productivity applications in Windows 7. [Doing so] requires download of Windows XP Mode (which runs on Windows Professional or Ultimate) and virtualization technology such as Windows Virtual PC. Customers can download Windows XP Mode and Windows Virtual PC free-of-charge from www.windows.com/business when available." (From amazon.com.)