vm-main is not found!

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by ergueta, Apr 19, 2006.

1. ergueta

ergueta Bit poster

Hi,

I had 2GB when I installed and I removed one of the memory chips. I am down to 1GB but when I try to run parallels I get:

"Module vm-main is not found! Parallels Workstation 2.1 is installed, but it has not been configured for your running kernel. To configure it please login as root and run parallels-config."

I tried to find parallels-config but it can't. Any suggestions?

2. semios

semios Bit poster

Same problem, different reason!

yesterday I tried to upgrade to Beta4 and the installation failed on me.

When I tried to launch the app it gave me the same error message: "Module vm-main is not found! Parallels Workstation 2.1 is installed, but it has not been configured for your running kernel. To configure it please login as root and run parallels-config."

Like the previous poster I'm stuck since I can't find the volume vm-main nor can re-install from scratch. The installer fails to complete every time.

3. ms @ parallels

ms @ parallels Parallels Team

Looks like you have old version of Parallels Workstation installed, please update to lastest beta (Beta4).

4. ms @ parallels

ms @ parallels Parallels Team

Look at About window and tell me which version of Parallels Workstation you have.
    Last version is 1658.58 Beta4

5. ergueta

ergueta Bit poster

I have 1658.58. I suspect it showed after I changed from 2GB to 1GB of RAM.

The way it went away was after uninstalling all and reinstalling from scratch.

I experimentally went to 2GB again, with beta4 I run the installtion again and it gave me the update option. This time it worked fine. I don't get the error message.

6. rmwilliams4

rmwilliams4 Bit poster

Same error

I also got the same error today after returning from lunch. I had powered down my VM running XP to avoid any sleep issues before I left. When I returned, ran PWS and restarted my VM, my MacBookPro with 2 GB RAM rebooted. Looked like everything was okay until I tried to run Parallels when I got the same message. Problem was that the image I use to hold the XP HD was not yet mounted. Looks okay now, but no clue why it splattered the first time.

7. Siker

Siker Junior Member

I have experienced the same problem.

I was downloading Eclipse in Windows XP running within Parallels. Meanwhile, I went to surf this forum in Safari on OS X. A couple of moments later I got the polite screen of death on my Mac, the one where the screen goes darker and it asks you to turn off the computer and restart it.

After restarting, Parallels refused to start with the main-vm error message. When I tried again a little bit later, the program started fine except for a complaint about finding a lockfile.