security applications

Discussion in 'macOS Virtual Machine' started by EllenL, Jul 3, 2009.

1. EllenL

EllenL Bit poster

I have McAfee because I belong to AOL. I also got a new invitation to add Parallels security program, which I also added. I'm not sure how much either of them work or if I need both of them. Any opinions on this? What do you use?
    I feel it is necessary because when I originally installed windows for mac on my previous mac notebook, I got a tos alert from AOL blocking all my users from logging on. I only went on the internet at that time to install McAfee. When I called, they said I had sent out 80 pieces of some kind of bulk spam mail which I or anyone else on my account had made, so I'm sure it was some kind of virus or spam that ocurred when I was in WINDOWS. So far I have not had any more problems.

2. estrelnikov

estrelnikov Parallels Team

Having more than one anitviral software/firewall simultaneously is highly unrecommended, except you want them to conflict with each other that might lead to Windows crashes, decreasing of performance etc. Parallels Internet Security is designed specifically for virtual environments, so it is better to use it instead of McAfee in Windows running in a virtual machine.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2009
  3. EllenL

EllenL Bit poster

Thanks for the advice. Can you tell me how to eliminate McAfee? Everytime I use windows I get befuddled. I've been a mac user since the first mac and I haven't figured out exactly how to think in <<windows!>>. The alerts that come up from parallels security or McAfee are like Greek to me so I usually hit the okay buttom, guessing that it came up because I was adding something myself. Thanks. El

4. estrelnikov

estrelnikov Parallels Team