Changing from Shared to Bridged Ethernet without shutting down windows

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by srini15574, Jul 5, 2009.

1. srini15574

srini15574 Junior Member

hi,
    i have a macbook pro on which i run a whole lot of software. I frequently have to swap my mac between the office domain, the home wireless network and also without a network (host only). I need to therefore swap between bridged and shared ethernet connections due to some requirements on the apps that i run on my mac.

Everytime, i need to shutdown my windows to change from Shared to Bridged Ethernet...

Is there a trick to do this without quitting my windows? That would be a great help as i can save a good 15 mins on every restart.

My specs:
    Parallels Desktop for Mac Build 5638
    Mac OS 10.5.7
    Windows XP SP2

thank you very much.

2. Ken Cunningham

Ken Cunningham Member

I switch back and forth all the time using the "Devices" menu ("Network Adapter 1" option) without rebooting Windows. It always seems to work fine.

3. Elric

Elric Parallels Team

For Parallels Desktop 3.0 you need to either restart the VM or click Start -> Run -> cmd.exe and type in appeared window two commands

ipconfig /release
    and then
    ipconfig /renew

note: The Parallels Desktop 4.0 does all necessary actions automatically.

4. srini15574

srini15574 Junior Member

i even try flushing the dns and then renewing the ip address but does not work.
    there seems to be something that activates my DNS server and gets a fresh IP only after i shutdown, switch from shared t o bridged...
    so this does not work for me as i need two different IPs - one for my mac and another for my PC both from my DNS server