Parallels Tools Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Discussion in 'Linux Virtual Machine' started by prioret, Apr 17, 2009.

1. Bernhard.parallels

Bernhard.parallels Member

2. sarangiman

sarangiman Bit poster

Follow these instructions to get Tools working under 9.04

For i386 architecture, go to http://packages.ubuntu.com/ and download the following (or just download my .zip archive of all necessary i386 packages here: http://staff.washington.edu/rjsanyal/xorg 1.5.2 debs.zip)

x11-common_7.4~5ubuntu3_all.deb
    xbase-clients_7.4~5ubuntu3_all.deb
    xdmx-tools_1.5.2-2ubuntu3.1_amd64.deb
    xdmx_1.5.2-2ubuntu3.1_amd64.deb
    xnest_1.5.2-2ubuntu3.1_amd64.deb
    xorg-dev_7.4~5ubuntu3_all.deb
    xorg_7.4~5ubuntu3_amd64.deb
    xserver-common_1.5.2-2ubuntu3.1_all.deb
    xserver-xephyr_1.5.2-2ubuntu3.1_amd64.deb
    xserver-xfbdev_1.5.2-2ubuntu3.1_amd64.deb
    xserver-xorg_7.4~5ubuntu3_amd64.deb
    xserver-xorg-core_1.5.2-2ubuntu3.1_amd64.deb
    xserver-xorg-core-dbg_1.5.2-2ubuntu3.1_amd64.deb
    xserver-xorg-dev_1.5.2-2ubuntu3.1_amd64.deb
    xserver-xorg-input-all_7.4~5ubuntu3_amd64.deb
    xserver-xorg-input-evdev_2.0.99+git20080912-0ubuntu6_amd64.deb
    xserver-xorg-input-kbd_1.3.1-2ubuntu1_amd64.deb
    xserver-xorg-input-mouse_1.3.0-1build1_amd64.deb
    xserver-xorg-input-synaptics_0.15.2-0ubuntu7_amd64.deb
    xserver-xorg-video-vesa_2.0.0-1ubuntu3_amd64.deb
    xutils_7.4~5ubuntu3_all.deb
    xvfb_1.5.2-2ubuntu3.1_amd64.deb
    xlibmesa-gl-dev_7.4~5ubuntu3_all.deb
    xlibmesa-gl_7.4~5ubuntu3_all.deb
    xlibmesa-glu_7.4~5ubuntu3_all.deb
    libglu1-xorg-dev_7.4~5ubuntu3_all.deb
    libglu1-xorg_7.4~5ubuntu3_all.deb

Make sure they're all in one directory. Then, cd to this directory and invoke:

sudo dpkg -r xserver-xorg-video-all xserver-xorg-input-all
    sudo dpkg -i *.deb.

Then install Parallels Tools using conventional instructions for Linux install. Worked for me and Kubuntu 9.04.

Hope this helps,
    Rishi

3. David Rowe

David Rowe Bit poster

Re the fix described by sarangiman on Jun 27, 2009, 03:56 AM:

Thanks for the info - but before I install it I would like some idea of:
    (1) How does this fix work?
    (2) Does it result in a non-standard installation of Ubuntu?
    (3) Will it continue to work when Ubuntu updates itself in future?

Could you enlighten us please.

PS - there is an error in the link to your zip of the deb packages. If you just click in the link, the browser tries to fetch from 'http://staff.washington.edu/rjsanyal/xorg' which does not exist. You have to copy the whole URL 'http://staff.washington.edu/rjsanyal/xorg 1.5.2 debs.zip' to the browser to get the zip file.

DR

4. AntonioV

AntonioV Bit poster

Yeah! It works!
    Thank you so much!

5. linux.user

linux.user Bit poster

Those instructions downgrade your X server. Kind of ridiculous to have to do this. Parallels could have released the source code and someone would have gotten this working the right way long ago. I will be switching to VirtualBox.

6. Newbie-Ubuntu

Newbie-Ubuntu Bit poster

When will this be fixed and supported?

I would not want to solve this by downgrading the X server, and such. My needs are not time critical so can anyone comment about the probability of 9.04 being officially supported, and when? October? I am using Ubuntu 9.04 to educate my self on the use the Parallels VM and I was hopeful that this would work. Actually the 9.04 install on the Mac OS X went flawlessly, but the installation of the "Tools" did not thereby limiting the level of integration.

Any comments are appreciated.

Thx.

7. alextrob

alextrob Bit poster

This is getting ridiculous. It's been nearly 2.5 months and we've got no comment from anyone from Parallels.

8. Newbie-Ubuntu

Newbie-Ubuntu Bit poster

This works for me..

I am using OS X and found that if I assign the ubuntu window to another space my problem with the mouse goes away.
    For me this is a suitable solution. By putting Ubuntu in another space I can switch spaces and the mouse follows to the new space. This allows me to go back and forth between Ubuntu and OS X with the same ease as going between spaces.

I hope that this is somewhat helpful.

9. M-Rick

M-Rick Bit poster

It shows well how serious this company is and how much they care about their customers ...

10. dss

dss Bit poster

With VirtualBox ubuntu 9.04 works fine.

I'm realy annoyed that i have thrown 80Eur down the drain for this software, and it doesn't work.
    And there is better Software for free.

11. BillyH

BillyH Bit poster

I have been a registered user of Parallels 2, 3, and now 4. It works (mostly) great for my Windows-based VMs -- even when I was beta testing Windows home media server or whatever it was and it had no idea what it was. But today is July 10th. I have spent hours and hours the last week downloading ISOs and installing -- first karmic koala nightly, then jaunty jackalope, then back to my favorite, Linux Minut 7 -- that I cannot fully use because of Parallels' inability to listen to their customers and provide them with the tools they need to use the products they sell.

12. dippyskoodlez

dippyskoodlez Bit poster

Seconded on the lack of uBuntu support... I can't run Mint in Parallels.... while my Vmware works perfectly.

:(

13. Michael Will

Michael Will Bit poster

I got some to work at least

I have the same issue of the installer aborting after realizing that it does not know how to deal with the xorg version. However I noticed that I still had the prl_fs module installed, and so at least I could get the sharing of the macosx home directory to work.

1. modprobe prl_fs
    2. mkdir /media/psf
    3. add to /etc/fstab:
    #Parallels Shared Folder mount
    none /media/psf prl_fs defaults,share 0 0
    4. mount -a

After that I could see my home in /media/psf/Home

14. sarangiman

sarangiman Bit poster

Agreed, folks... this is pathetic of Parallels. It's been 'ages' in the software world now, and still no support for Parallels Tools!

Yeah this 'fix' downgrades xorg... but it works. However, downgrading xorg renders us with a pretty lame install of Linux-- especially as every time one tries to 'apt-get install' any new packages, they typically require upgrading xorg. Hence now I have to manually install packages. Unacceptable.

Whatup Parallels??

15. jimcoyle

jimcoyle Hunter

Contempt

The non-response from anyone at Parallels only reflects their long-standing contempt for their user base. It's unconscionable that no one from the company can provide any update about this issue after so many weeks have gone by.

They did this before, though, and the "fix" was to wait for the next version. I, for one, won't be waiting.

16. M-Rick

M-Rick Bit poster

17. Anhedonia

Anhedonia Bit poster

What kills me about this is that it seems like to be a simple enough fix. Change the hooks from 1.5 to 1.6, maybe recompile the package, and you're done. wtf, Parallels Corp, get back on the ball!

18. jaxid

jaxid Bit poster

19. I-che

I-che Pro

20. JohnKFisher

JohnKFisher Bit poster

Yeah.. we're "aware" of it, too.