I can't get Fedora Core 6 to work

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by jerbils, Jan 8, 2007.

1. jerbils

jerbils Bit poster

Hi guys, I'm a complete newbie with Linux, and I just tried to install Fedora Core 6 on my MacBook. The install went fine, but after the required reboot, the GUI is useless. Basically, what happens is that the text portion of the boot sequence shows up just fine, but when the GUI starts up, all I can see is this:

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/158/350703133_b5b4306fa5.jpg?v=0

I'm sure there's a way to tinker with the configuration files, but as I said, I do not know how to use Linux, so I don't know where to start with that. I know there are pre-prepared Linux images specifically for the MacBook, but I wanted to install things myself from the start (I wanted all of the included software, and I wanted a bit of a personal challenge). What I really need is for somebody to baby-step me through the whole process for fixing this display issue. I'm pretty computer savvy, but I simply have no experience with Linux. Thanks in advance.

2. HWgeek

HWgeek Junior Member

Get the preloaded vm image. Verify that it runs on your system, load software via the linux tools available to do so. As you learn linux, go back and create a new VM and attempt a clean install of Linux.
    I am not trying to be harsh, and you were honest, you are a new linux user, so make it _easy_ for yourself first. Then up the bar. Just like you wouldn't be able to go run an ultramarathon without training and prep, don't expect to take a)Beta Parallels b)Linux with no training and just run right of the box.
    I use linux alot and just bittorrented the image, why? Same reason I didn't re-invent the wheel, no point in it.
    There are also myriads of Linux forums on the net that could probably better address your X display issues.

3. L-Key

L-Key Junior Member

edit your xorg.conf file. or like HWG said download the preloaded, Works great

4. jerbils

jerbils Bit poster

Hmm. This is strange... I tried the premade image before and it worked fine, but now when I boot it up, it takes me to a text-based login screen (no GUI). It worked before I tried to actually install it (I'm talking about the install with the issues I originally posted about). Basically, it worked before and now it's not.

Let me outline this to clarify:

1. I downloaded the premade MacBook image, booted it up, worked fine
    2. Decided I wanted to do the install myself
    3. Made a new VM, installed Linux; didn't work
    4. Booted VM image from number 1, now I can't get the GUI.

Any ideas on this one?

5. dkp

dkp Forum Maven

Try giving the VM a bit more memory. I've had the same problem running Solaris.

6. jerbils

jerbils Bit poster

I gave it 768, it kernel panicked. 512, still had the same problem.

7. palter

palter Hunter

This is a bug in Fedora Core itself that was fixed in one of their many updates. Login as root and then execute the command

gdm-stop

This will bring up the X windows screen. Once your up, you should definitely update Fedora Core itself. I believe there's a Software Update command (I'm not certain of its name) in the System menu.

8. palter

palter Hunter

This is caused by the kernel's support for the i815 chipset that Parallels emulates. You can get around it by editing the file /etc/grub.conf and adding

agp=off

to the line which specifies the kernel to boot.

9. jerbils

jerbils Bit poster

That got it working. Thanks!

10. dkp

dkp Forum Maven

Thanks for that info - I wasn't aware of the problem. Mine is and has been working fine but it is sensitive to the amount of memory I provide it. Is this a Fedora 6 problem or does it extend to other releases?

11. palter

palter Hunter

My understanding is that it affects all Linux distributions running a 2.6 kernel to some extent or the other. So, it's not limited to just Fedora. I've seen complaints on this forum from people running Ubuntu and others about this.