iPhone will not connect through parallels

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by mediafly, Jun 30, 2007.

1. MacTheMan

MacTheMan Bit poster

OK... It is now 2009... 2 years _after_ the last post in the thread... and Parallels still has NOT fixed this!!!!!
    Resetting the IPhone and Apple Device Managers sometimes works, but now it doesn't.
    Restarting and resetting... sometimes works, but now it doesn't
    It is really frustrating that now that I have Mac that I can use for real work (with Parallels which allows me to run Windows)...
    AND THE ONLY THING THAT DOESN'T WORK IS SYNCING MY IPHONE ???? I can't believe it.
    Parallels: Fix this!

2. wolfpackfan

wolfpackfan Bit poster

I sure wish that I had known this was a problem with Parallels before I bought it. It is sure disappointing. Now that you can sync notes with the iPhone I was hoping to sync my Outlook notes but now I find that Parallels won't even let me sync my iPhone period. I have to say overall I'm pretty disappointed with this product.

3. KevinC

KevinC Bit poster

Unable to sync after upgrading to iPhone 3.0

After I updated my iPhone with the latest 3.0 Update, I am not able to synchronise my iPhone with iTune on my Windows XP running on Parallel Desktop 4.0. iTune does not even display iPhone in it any longer.

Does anyone encounter this issue? Is there any way to resolve this?

Many thanks.

4. bidione

bidione Member

Same problem for me! iPhone is not recognized as USB device from Windows (get an error message saying the an USB-device could not be recognized). I have OS 3.0 and iTunes 8.2 installed in Windows. If I check device manager in Windows it does not show the iPhone in the list of USB-devices - but an "unrecognized device".

5. KevinC

KevinC Bit poster

While waiting for a solution, I have decided to migrate my Outlook 2007 to iCal, Address Book and iMail.

The process is not straight forward but I found a useful tool at http://www.littlemachines.com which helps ease the process.

Cheers!

6. OlivierL

OlivierL Bit poster

iTune does not even display iPhone in it any longer

After I updated my iPhone with the latest 3.0 Update, I am not able to synchronise my iPhone with iTune on my Windows XP running on Parallel Desktop 4.0. iTune does not even display iPhone in it any longer.

Does anyone encounter this issue? Is there any way to resolve this?

Many thanks.
    Same problem for me

7. annac

annac Bit poster

iphone no longer seen in Parallels 3.0 on WinXP Virtual

Hey there -

Yes, I am having the same exact issue. Ever since I updated my phone to the 3.0 OS and itunes to the 8.2 version, my iphone is no longer seen in XP. All of my contacts/notes/email is through Outlook in XP, and NO I am not going to migrate everything over to Entourage because it does not support assigning conference rooms for meetings (which I have to do). Anyway - I contacted Apple technical support, they were very nice and tried to help, but they have not dealt with this. I suspect it is a new issue. I have filed it as such, so hopefully they will do something about it, because this is not going to be a corner case. There are a lot of people running parallels to be able to use both mac and pc at the same time.

Regards - Anna

8. DianeJ

DianeJ Bit poster

Same/similar issue

Using Parallels 4.0 and Windows XP as the Guest OS - Just got an iPhone 3GS, when I connect it to the Mac Air, I get a dialog from Parallels asking if I want to connect the device to Windows or the Mac - I choose Windows, and I get a dialog saying there is a problem with the USB device - and I also see that iTunes on the Mac starts automatically, and the iPhone is in it's devices list.

If I close iTunes on the Mac and then disconnect the USB device from Windows, then reconnect it to Windows, iTunes on the Mac comes up again.

I can't seem to get it to be detected only by the Windows build.. Any suggestions?

Thanks.

9. Hunter01

Hunter01 Bit poster

iTune does not even display iPhone 3 / Parallels 4.

I upgraded my iphone to 3.0 and bang! Itunes CAN NOT see my iphone now!!!! :( It works on my non parallels XP / PC. Please fix!!!!!

10. KenR

KenR Bit poster

iPHONE 3.0 RELEASE NOT RECOGNIZED IN WINDOWS XP VIA PARALLELS 4.0

I upgraded my iPhone to software version 3.0 a few of weeks back and since the upgrade, my iTunes no longer recognizes my iPhone on either my Mac Pro (3.0 GHz Quad-Cor Intel Xeon/ 4 GB RAM) nor my MacBook (2.16 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo / 2 GB RAM) via Parallels 4.0 using the Windows XP Professional OS, but all works great on my Compaq PC running Windows XP Professional. I have also attempted to connect two other iPhones to both my Mac Pro and my MacBook with the same results.

After a month of lost time working to resolve this issue, I was finally able to get the Windows XP Pro operating system (via Parallels) to recognize my IPhone in the explorer app, but still no recognition from iTunes.

Don't waste your time trying to resolve this one as I have tried everything under the sun and scowered the blogs and forums for a resolution, to no avail. THIS IS DEFINITELY A PARALLELS USB CONNECTION ISSUE!

Parallels moderator - wanna respond?? :)

11. Cain929

Cain929 Bit poster

Contacted Support

Well I contacted support on this issue, but is not looking good. I downloaded VM and my phone worked perfect the first time.

Come one guys send us a patch or a place to get a refund.

12. troble

troble Bit poster

I am having the same problem. I had a 1st Gen Iphone which worked fine....I used Outlook for work with Parallels and the Iphone had no problems syncing the contacts etc. One I updated and got the new 3.0 software it crashed my 1st Gen phone and I had to restore it. Then after plugging it in again it won't recognize the phone on the Parallel PC side.

I received a 3Gs yesterday for my birthday and when I plug that in on the PC side, it won't recognize it, it tries to pull up Itunes on the Mac side. Problem is all my contacts are in Outlook.

Please help. I need to get my contacts onto my phone. I have called Apple and they said it's a parallel problem, tried calling Parallels but seems like it's difficult to get anyone on the phone. Can anyone help?

13. W Bruce H

W Bruce H Bit poster

Support not much help

Support must not be reading this forum or must not care. I wonder how many others are having this problem that don't use this forum. You think that they would get a solution after this much time.

14. W Bruce H

W Bruce H Bit poster

I tried another iPhone on my computer-had the same issues.

Also tried iPhone on 2 other Macs running Parallels, one Mac Book Pro (same as mine) one a MacBook. The issues were the same.I am pretty sure this is a Parallels issue, not a iPhone or XP issue.
    Parallels recognizes the iPhone but XP says USB device not recognized. iTunes does not recognize the iPhone.
    iPhone is recognized on all machines when operating in the Mac OS.
    iPhone is recognized on a Windows box running XP-don’t think it is an issue with the iPhone or the cable.
    None of the units will recognize a iPod classic when running Parallels-same symptoms.
    I have reloaded iTunes several times.
    I tried renewing the iPhone drivers.
    Don't know what to try next. I must sync on the XP side for work, that is why I purchased Parallels in the first place.

15. bidione

bidione Member

I tried all to get my iPhone back working on Parallels but nothing worked.

16. W Bruce H

W Bruce H Bit poster

Parallels has provide sort of a fix, it is makeshift in that I have to remove iTunes and reinstall prior to each sync because otherwise xp iTunes will not recognise drivers.

Seems to me that a problem of this severity would not have to wait until the next release to be patched. Here is the solution they provided:

We are aware of this issue and this has came to light when the new version of iTunes - 8.2 was released.

Now, with iTunes 8.2 installed on your Mac when you plug your iPhone it grabs this device and starts iTunes automatically as usual.

But when you try to connect your iPhone to Windows virtual machine as any USB device Mac OS X will not release iPhone completely and as a result both systems get the device only partially, Mac OS X still sees it but iTunes on Mac gives you an error message and Windows also gets this device only partially, e.g. only camera.

We have a workaround for it:

1) Open Terminal on Mac side (Application > Utilities > Terminal )
    2) Copy and paste the following command:

sudo /bin/launchctl unload //System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.usbmuxd.plist

Press Return. You will be asked for your password but will not see it while typing.
    3) Then connect your iPhone to your Mac, and then to virtual machine.

4) Then if you want to sync your iPhone with iTunes on Mac OS X you need to copy/paste the following command:
    sudo /bin/launchctl load //System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.usbmuxd.plist

Then restart your Mac.

Please accept our apologize for such inconvenience. This should be fixed in future updates of Parallels Desktop.

Thank you,
    --
    Andrey Polienko
    Technical Support Engineer
    Parallels

17. LDF

LDF Bit poster

I had the same problem you all described and spend a full day on it (loosing some data through the restoration of the iPhone).

I tried the "magic formula" (sudo /bin/launchctl unload //System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.usbmuxd.plist) and it didn't work the first time. I did it again but without restarting the Mac and it worked !

If 20% of the Parallels users have an iPhone (assumption that sounds a minimum), the correction of the bug between iTunes and Parallels appears to be urgent !

18. GUILE

GUILE Bit poster

As mentioned above, it is indeed a common problem. I tried all the above suggestions including the sudo files and still not working - appreciate additional solution if any and advise when can expect the upgrade of parallel 4 to solve this problem.

19. DavidV

DavidV Bit poster

Does Parallels 5 fix this problem?

Does Parallels 5 fix this problem? If so will definitely buy it!

20. Mr Grey

Mr Grey Bit poster

Same negative surprise after attaching iPhone 3GS 3.1 to XP via Parallels 4.0 for the first time.
    The magical script worked well here:

1) Open Terminal on Mac side (Application > Utilities > Terminal )
    2) Copy and paste the following command:

sudo /bin/launchctl unload //System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.usbmuxd.plist

Press Return. You will be asked for your password but will not see it while typing.
    3) Then connect your iPhone to your Mac, and then to virtual machine.

No restart necessary in this case. XP iTunes 9.0 recognized the iPhone. Sync and updates completed sucessfully.