Parallels can't find BOOTCAMP hard drive after power loss

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by Ken Cunningham, Jul 5, 2009.

1. Ken Cunningham

Ken Cunningham Member

Parallels can't find BOOTCAMP hard drive after reboot

I use a BOOTCAMP partition for parallels. I have several hard disks on my Mac. I set up Parallels to start at login, unattended.

However, when the computer has a power outage and reboots, Parallels misplaces the BOOTCAMP partition, 'can't find Hard Drive 1' and won't boot. Stopping the VM, reselecting the BOOTCAMP partition in the config parameters, and restarting the VM fixes the problem. However, I need this to happen automatically because I need Parallels to be running on the Mac at all times unattended.

Looking at the Parallels configuration file and looking at the output from "df" in the terminal, issue seems that the disk identification for the BOOTCAMP partition changes between boots ( e.g. /dev/disk0s3 on one boot, /dev/disk2s3 on another boot ). This appears to be confusing Parallels at bootup.

Any ideas? It's kludgy, but perhaps a script with 'df' and 'awk' might identify the right disk ID, and this could be written into the parallels defaults somewhere prior to parallels booting? Hopefully the Parallels people might think of a better way than that...

Ken

Last edited: Jul 6, 2009
  2. Ken Cunningham

Ken Cunningham Member

script to help identify BOOTCAMP partition info at bootup -- Please help

Well, so far no help from anyone....

Here's a script that will correctly identify the BOOTCAMP partition disk ID and UUID:

-------------
    DEVICE=`diskutil list|grep BOOTCAMP|awk '{print $8}'`
    ID=`diskutil info $DEVICE|grep UUID|awk '{print $3}'`
    echo $DEVICE
    echo $ID
    ------------------

I presume with these two pieces of information I can write these into the parallels configuration files after bootup, before Parallels starts.

Parallels gurus:
    Would I have to write them into the parallels configuration file, or into the virtual hard disk configuration file, or both. Or is there some way to write them in correctly using "defaults write .... "

Please help. My Parallels VM will not start at bootup correctly until I fix this.

3. PhillipZ

PhillipZ Bit poster

I think I could alos use the information requested by Ken.

I renamed my bootcamp partition to ".BOOTCAMP" (the leading dot is to keep it from popping up on my desktop). Now, I have to manually unmount the drive before starting the VM, else I get the hd1 not found error.

I'd like paralles to automatically unmount the drive as it did before changing the name. Perhaps this can be done by editing some config file?