USB stops working after suspend/resume

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by DuncanHume, Jul 6, 2009.

1. DuncanHume

DuncanHume Bit poster

Parallels 4 build 3844.

If I suspend Windows XP using the Parallels suspend, (not Windows standby or hibernate) then resume the OS, usb devices stop working. Windows stops seeing USB devices all together until the OS is rebooted.

Is this a known problem, I tried searching but couldn't find anything relevant.

Anyone else have this problem?

Cheers

Duncan

2. meballard

meballard Bit poster

I believe I am having the same problem. I just connected some new equipment to my computer, and when I told Parallels to use it, it didn't detect the device. I had used Suspend just earlier today. After seeing this message, I went ahead and Shut Down/Quit/Started Parallels, and now it's working fine.

3. DuncanHume

DuncanHume Bit poster

Sounds like it.. This happens everytime I suspend. Which is very awkward as I am developing with USB devices. It never used to do it. Parallels 3 was fine and earlier versions of 4 were ok too. Not sure when it broke, but its definately broken!

Disconnecting and reconnecting the usb device does nothing. Windows does not see the USB device at all! Mac OS can see the usb device, but connect it to the VM and windows just ignores it. Nothing appears in device manager and there's no USB bing bong!

4. ddahle1970

ddahle1970 Member

Looking around, it looks like Windows doesn't like being suspended / resumed the way Parallels does it (making this one feature the most YMMV-prone one in Parallels). Try doing what you need to do but with regular Windows startup / shutdown.

5. BDM

BDM Junior Member

I'm very disappointed to see that this has not yet been fixed. My USB devices quit working when I upgraded to build 3810. I went back to build 3540. I just checked the forum to see if they had fixed this yet, but it appears they have not.

Even with build 3540, "Suspend" will kill the USB devices, but you can bring them back by running the "Add New Hardware" utility. You need not run the whole process, just click the first "Next" and, after a few seconds, click "Cancel". This restores my USB programmer. You might try this procedure in the current Parallels and see if it works.

Parallels 3 did not have this problem. I'll be unable to update version 4 until they fix this.

Parallels support acknowledged this problem to me on December 27 of 2008:
    We are aware about this case, and working to resolve situation.
    Please check our website for upcoming updates