Always have to restart Parallels

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by HeatherA, Jun 28, 2009.

1. HeatherA

HeatherA Bit poster

I'm running Mac OS X 10.5.7 and the latest build of Parallels 4.

Parallels seems to work fine BUT on EVERY start up I have to restart Windows (Vista) in order to be able to use my mouse and pen tablet successfully.

I have reinstalled Parallel Tools and Repaired Disk Permissions, both of which did not help.

The USB icon at the bottom of the VM screen says that all USB devices are connected, although in the VM Configuration box it states that they are not.

Seems very odd that the VM works perfectly after restarting but not on the first boot up.

Any advice would be gratefully received.

Many thanks

2. Bopanna I G

Bopanna I G Hunter

Hello HeatherA,

Please follow these steps:

Before doing these steps please make sure to turn off Windows XP:

1. Go to Configure options (Usually under virtual machine tab).
    2. Select USB
    3. Remove the device by clicking '-'
    4. Then click on the '+' symbol and add USB

Then start Parallels Desktop and see if you are able to connect the USB devices.

Thank you.

3. HeatherA

HeatherA Bit poster

Thanks for your reply.

I've tried this but no, it doesn't make any difference. I still get the same erratic behavior with both mouse and pen.
    Fine after a restart though! Doesn't make sense to me!

Is there anything else I could try?

Thanks for any help you can give.

4. NoComment

NoComment Bit poster

Same with me...

I have the same problem on each of my two machines where I use Parallels. This was introduced with Parallels 4, worked fine with P3 and P2.5. If one starts a "find new devices" task in device manager, the usb-devices are found and can be used. Removing and adding the usb controller from the configuration doesn't work at all, same problems persist.

Actually, this makes Parallels useless for me, I'm attaching usb-to-serial-converters as I use a lot of external hardware and it's a catastrophy to tell my employees to "start device manager and search for new devices" after a standby/resume.

5. HeatherA

HeatherA Bit poster

Well, I'm glad I'm not the only one NoComment!

I have Windows Vista (SP1 & 2) installed in Boot Camp. I'm thinking of making a new VM and running Vista from my Boot Camp partition in Parallels in the hope that it might run properly.

Does anyone have any experience with this? Is it worth a try??

Thanks

6. NoComment

NoComment Bit poster

I#ve tried it with several different OS and a fresh installation (all other VMs were migrated from PD3.0). With Windows 7 (64bit) it's not a problem, works fine; but with XP 32-bit it doesn't work, no matter if it is a migrated VM or a "fresh" one.

7. NoComment

NoComment Bit poster

It's very interesting to see that forum messages are held back if they do not fit to Parallels' strategy. I received an email notification of someone who had something to contribute here, but it doesn't show up here. I'm quite sure that Parallels doesn't like the things posted in this message, but they haven't been offensive or anything other than simply true.

I would be glad to see my message come through on this thread. If not, at least all the others that subscribed to this thread can see how Parallels is handling "opinions".

PS: I actually did the same as the "not-coming-through" poster did. As Parallels provides no feedback on this problem, not in the forum nor when submitting bugs, and the problem is by far not solved, I switched to a competitor and everything works fine.

8. estrelnikov

estrelnikov Parallels Team

Yes, we moderate posts because of a set of reasons, e.g. spam attacks. But what you described here is the time interval when the post is already submitted but is not moderated yet -- if you post anything on the forum then others subscribed on this thread will receive a notification but nobody will see the actual post before the moderator checks it.

9. NoComment

NoComment Bit poster

Ok, sounds reasonable, but where's the post of HelmutH then?

PS: I would have liked very much to see Paralles to support us with this topic (USB doesn't work), I've been a huge fan of Parallels since 2.0, but I'm actually very dissapointed about this bus and I had to switch my whole company to a competitor because Parallels has no solution. I commited several bugs, no response. That won't work out for you guys.

10. estrelnikov

estrelnikov Parallels Team

Can't say for sure now. It could be moderated due to:
    1. It contained advertisements
    2. It contained obscene language
    3. It was off topic or just an unfounded abuse

As far as I understood you mean the problem reporting feature. The point is that we have 300+ new reports a day each day in our database. It is just not possible to check them all, most of them have no issue description. A proper procedure to submit an issue/bug would be to create a support ticket first at http://www.parallels.com/support/desktop/, then submit a problem report via Help -> Report a problem and then provide the report ID in the ticket, so we could investigate the issue effectively. It is free of charge just like posting on the forum.

11. NoComment

NoComment Bit poster

I submitted several bugs during the beta testing of 4.0, it's interesting to see that something must have changed in the procedure for submitting bugs. I will re-submit the bug, but don't see much sense to use the bulit-in "report a problem" functionality as you won't get any information from the data sent to Parallels. But as it's part of the process, I will send it.

12. HeatherA

HeatherA Bit poster

I sent in an answer to NoComment a few weeks ago but that didn't come through. I said that I had given up on Parallels and would give it a while to see if bugs were fixed, and if not give VMWare a try. I suppose that's why it didn't show up!?

I'm disappointed with Paralles and am just running Boot Camp for now. Would dearly like a VM that worked though.

13. texeter

texeter Member

This USB problem that I have been having with my scanners. If I use the scanner I have to shut Windows XP down and then restart. If I do a resume either the scanner is not recognised and one has to go to the Control Panel and ask it to find any new hardware or else the system is totally frozen when it restarts and a reboot of XP is necessary. I and others have noted this on previous occasions but to no effect and without acknowledgement. Everything was fine with Parallels 3 but no longer works with Parallels 4. This is a long outstanding problem!

14. HeatherA

HeatherA Bit poster

Pen tablet only working in Coherence mode

Hi, I stated this thread a while ago when I couldn't get my mouse and pen tablet to work unless I rebooted Vista.
    I have just reinstalled the VM and have the latest update. I still have the same problem but now rebooting doesn't solve it.

I have found though that my pen tablet with work in Coherence mode. But Coherence mode only! In all other modes the pen is erratic and unusable.

In USB manager it still say's that no USB devices are found.

Why does my pen tablet only work in Coherence?? I can live with this for a while but I shouldn't have too!

Your help would be appreciated.

Thank you.

15. BDM

BDM Junior Member

I've been having this problem with Parallels 4 since December of 2008. In a forum message of December 27 they acknowledged this problem:

http://forum.parallels.com/showthread.php?p=142444

They said to check back for updates, but I dare not install any update because, if it kills the USB devices, I may not be able to get back to build 3810.

They've been "working to resolve this situation" for seven months now.