Parallels Desktop for Mac build 3106 Beta 3 is available for download.

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by STim, Dec 29, 2006.

1. drval

drval Pro

Have you installed Parallels' Tools for this Beta?

2. drval

drval Pro

Beta on a Beta is definitely skating on thin<ing> ice.

I've had no problems with Access 2003 using MacBook Pro C2D.

Perhaps try copying the file to the Windows area -- not the shared folder -- and try to open it from there.

3. darreln

darreln Member

I have seen the same problem with beta 3. I have parallels tools installed (and updated).

Copying and Pasting FROM the vm (Vista, in this case) to OS X no longer works.

Copying and Pasting FROM OS X to Vista does still work.

D

4. drval

drval Pro

Perhaps it's related to Vista then because I have no problems with either direction of copying.

5. behavior

behavior Bit poster

I have the same problem with two HDDs, too

My MacPro has a problem with two HDDs, too.
    Parallels says in this way.

"more than one Windows partitions are found."

It does not start from BootCamp.
    OSX is installed in HDD1, and BootCamp is installed in HDD2.

Because I can start from BootCamp with one HDD in MacBook normally, I think that it is not a problem of Parallels's setting.

6. dhjdhj

dhjdhj Hunter

New beta is great

Finally took the risk of installing latest beta on my MacPro where I use it for real - works great - very happy - great job.

Just out of curiosity, how hard would it be to put Windows app shortcuts (aliases) on the Mac dock (say) so that clicking on such an icon would start up windows (in coherence mode, typically) and invoke that app?

That would be a lovely seamless integration.

David

7. eazar

eazar Bit poster

Adding Windows App to Mac Dock

David,

It is amazingly easy to launch a Windows app from the Mac Dock.
    Just follow these steps:

1 - Make sure your VM is stopped.
    2 - With the VM open then click the Edit\Virtual Machine... menu item
    3 - Click "Options" under the Resource column in the grid, then click the "Booting" tab to the right, Under Flags check "Switch to Coherence automatically"

If you want to remove the Windows Taskbar from displaying in Coherence mode:
    1 - Click "Coherence" under the Resource column in the grid. Uncheck "Show" under Windows Task bar.

I also set my Taskbar to auto-hide inside of Windows.

Now start your VM. It will automatically start in Coherence Mode.

Start the application you want added to the Mac Dock. The Windows application will appear in the Mac Doc with the Parallels icon and the icon of your application.

Right click the Windows application icon and choose Keep in Dock.

From now on you only need to click the Windows application icon. If the VM is not running it will start the VM, switch into Coherence Mode, and start the application.

-Erik

8. hasseogtage

hasseogtage Bit poster

Parallels wont "un-hide"

Every time I choose Hide all in the Finder, the Parallels is made inaccessible.

No matter if you choose the PC-apps in the dock or with command-tab: No apps is coming forward.

This goes for Coherence-mode and OS Window-mode and the only solution is to force-quit Parallels.

Cant remember that this was a problem in Beta2.

9. shaunconn

shaunconn Junior Member

Beta gives config error on launch

Hi

I have just installed the beta on a MBP, but launching it I get:

Attention! The configuration file /Library/Parallels/.dhcpd_configuration, which contains network bridge options, was not found or is not accessible in the application's home directory /Library/Parallels/. Please login as root to run the parallels configuration program.

If I su into root, exactly what configuration program should I run!?

Any ideas?

Shaun

10. shaunconn

shaunconn Junior Member

Hi

Sorted. My GA release was in Utilities and the beta installs into Applications. Uninstalled both, installed GA and moved to Applications, then installed Beta. Work OK, but no Coherence :-(

Shaun

11. serv

serv Forum Maven

shaunconn,

You're launching previous version of Parallels application. You might have moved /Applications/Parallels somewhere and created dock icon for it. Try recreating the dock icon to point to /Applications/Parallels/Parallels Desktop.

EDIT: I see you've solved this before I posted.

Regarding Coherence. Make sure you've updated Parallels Tools in your VM.

12. limec

limec Member

I too have no luck with Windows 98 SE. When I try to install Parallels tools, nothing happens. When I quit Windows 98 SE, it BSODs. Just wonder if anyone here is using Windows 98 SE?

13. shaunconn

shaunconn Junior Member

Hi

Many thanks - for some reason I had chosen "Custom" on the tools install and it didn't install Coherence; re-installed with "Full" and now have Coherence!

Regards

Shaun

14. maz

maz Bit poster

Beta 1 Tool beta 1 installation problems

'Beta1 (build 3036) users must boot natively into Boot Camp and uninstall Parallels Tools for Boot Camp prior to running it in Beta3 (build 3106)'.
    On attempting to uninstall PT for BC error type 1 is produced and installer exits without uninstalling program.
    Can you offer a fix or tell me which files need deleting/changing?

15. a.maverick

a.maverick Bit poster

Few Questions about Build 3106 Beta 3 & Parallels in general

I just upgraded to a MacBook Pro C2D and bought myself a copy of Parallels (retail boxed version) to run Windows for a few of my needs. Right after I bought my boxed version of Parallels, Build 3106 Beta 3 was released. So now I am in a quandary about what to install on my Mac (I haven't installed Parallels yet!!!...Shame on me!!). But I guess I am just being cautious and want to do it right the first time and not go through the installation fallacies that some people like me might have made.

But here are a couple of my questions that have prevented me from installing Parallels yet. Hope someone can answer these for me. I would greatly appreciate it. I can't get wait to get coherence mode up and running!!!

1. Should I install Parallels from the boxed version I bought before I try to update it with the Beta 3 version? Or should I directly install the Beta 3 and use my registration code that came with the boxed version to activate it? Will my registration key work for a direct installation of Beta 3 without me having installed from the boxed version first?

2. My second question depends on the answer to my first. I don't know what build my boxed version is. And I read in the forums that Retail box users should upgrade to Parallels Desktop Build 1970! So if I do need to install a stable build before I can upgrade to the current Beta 3, should I just directly install Build 1970 and not fool with installing from my boxed Parallels copy? And will my registration code work in this case?

Thanks a lot in advance!

16. zevmogreen

zevmogreen Bit poster

Beta 1 tools uninstall problem

Same problem. I thought I was the only one. HELP!

"'Beta1 (build 3036) users must boot natively into Boot Camp and uninstall Parallels Tools for Boot Camp prior to running it in Beta3 (build 3106)'.
    On attempting to uninstall PT for BC error type 1 is produced and installer exits without uninstalling program.
    Can you offer a fix or tell me which files need deleting/changing?"

Last edited: Jan 9, 2007
  17. drval

drval Pro

I would definitely NOT install the boxed version. Go directly to 3106; use the Registration Code you have, if it doesn't work you'll be directed re: getting a new code. Almost all of the reported problems have involved migration TO 3106 FROM some prior version and/or integrating with Boot Camp.

18. keltorsori

keltorsori Junior Member

WIN 2K install fails with 512MB RAM

I setup a new virtual machine with Beta 3 to install Windows 2000 into. My install kept failing at the very end (near saving settings). I edited the machine, changed the RAM back to 256MB, install worked fine. Something's buggy here. I've installed Windows 2000 on Beta 1 and Beta 2 machines successfully, regardless of amount of RAM.

19. dhjdhj

dhjdhj Hunter

All I can say is WOW!!!

20. dhjdhj

dhjdhj Hunter

Can I drop a Windows shortcut on the Mac desktop as well, or can it only go on the dock?
    (Yeah, I know I should try it but I'm not on the actual machine right now but I gotta know :)

D