MacFUSE?

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by tblack, Jul 15, 2009.

1. tblack

tblack Member

I'm running XP Pro with Parallels v4. Today I installed Leopard & upgraded to 10.5.7. Each time I open Windows I get a dialog box on the mac saying:

"OPERATING SYSTEM TOO OLD
    The installed MacFUSE version is too new for the operating system. Please downgrade to one that is compatible with the currently running operating system."

So, I guess Leopard installed a new version of MacFuse and it's "too new" for Windows XP.

I think MacFUSE is some kind of program that facilitates file sharing between UNIX type systems and windows? - I might be wrong about this of course. So should I be worried about this "problem"? I don't know how to fix it anyway. So far I have not encountered any difficulties. Any advice appreciated.

Tom

2. estrelnikov

estrelnikov Parallels Team

Uninstall MacFuse manually using the command below, run from Applications/Utilities/Terminal:

sudo /Library/Filesystems/fusefs.fs/Support/uninstall-macfuse-core.sh

You will be prompted to enter your password

3. estrelnikov

4. tblack

tblack Member

Thanks, but "reinstall parallels desktop" . . does this mean I will have to go through the whole process of setting up Windows again? That will be a nightmare. Is it actually necessary to get rid of Macfuse?

More info please.

Tom

5. estrelnikov

No, reinstalling Parallels Desktop does not affect anyhow your Windows installations. That is a procedure that takes about 2 minutes. Parallels Desktop installer installs MacFuse as well, that is why I was asking you to to that. Alternatively, you can install MacFuse separately

6. tblack

tblack Member

OK great, thanks for the quick reply.

Tom

7. phesopheon

phesopheon Member

umm..... does this mean paralllels is incompatable with 10.5.7? Will there be an update from parallels coming? I'd rather use the Apple supplied MacFUSE and keep current.

8. estrelnikov

Didn't get you. Why incompatible? The above is the situation when MacFuse installation got corrupted, it has nothing to do with Parallels Desktop. I've just supplied tblack with a way to reinstall MacFuse manually.

9. phesopheon

phesopheon Member

OK! I see. My misunderstanding. Sorry for the confusion.

10. tblack

tblack Member

Parallels support, could you check the advice you have given above? I am trying to address the same problem on another laptop and when I enter the following command into Terminal:

sudo /Library/Filesystems/fusefs.fs/Support/uninstall-macfuse-core.sh

the response is: invalid command

How do I solve this problem?

Tom

11. Shaddam IV

Shaddam IV Forum Maven

I think you can remove MacFuse by right-clicking on its icon in the Mac Control Panel. That will allow you to remove it.