Issues & Questions

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by MBX, Dec 1, 2006.

1. MBX

MBX Member

since i have a few problems and questions i couldn't find a more exact title (sorry).

my specs:
    - windows xp-sp2 via bootcamp
    - macbook pro, 17'', coreduo 2.16ghz, 2gb ram.

here are some of my issues with the latest beta :

a) the coherence mode doesn't work. the button is there but when i have a windows app open and press that button nothing happens.

b) drag & drop doesn't work.

c) there's no drive for the os-x partition. no way for me accessing any files outside the bootcamp-windows partition. also the mediafour macdrive software seems not to work. in bootcamp/ windows-xp i used it so i can see, read & write os-x files within windows. now there's no possibility.

d) the resolution doesn't adjust's itself when i resize the parallels windows. if i want a bigger res i have to do it in the windows settings within the xp-os. and vice versa.

are there any suggestions how to fix all of these issues?

--

also i'm trying to setup a linux alternative via parallels and hoping that there won't be any issues when i try to see/ read os-x files from my os-x partition.

any tips & suggestions very welcome.

thanks much

2. nemozob

nemozob Bit poster

Be sure Parallels Tools are up to date

I was having the same problem with Coherence not responding when clicked on my MacPro with 2 monitors, though I'm not using it through Boot Camp, not sure if that's a significant difference.

I reinstalled the Parallels Tools (Actions > Install Parallels Tools...) and that did the trick. I'm able to use Coherence as well as drag and drop, although it doesn't support two monitors yet so this functionality only works on the monitor being used by Parallels.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2006
  3. MBX

MBX Member

can anyone help me how to mount or see/ read/ write os-x files (hd)?

i installed suse 10.1 but i can't find a way to access my os-x drive & files.

also how does xgl work? i read the xgl page. but there is no option in suse gnome settings for "desktop effects" as mentioned in the xgl wiki.

help apperciated very much

4. pwith

pwith Member

Coherence works fine for me on my Mac Pro - but once you are in that mode I don't see any way to get back short of turning off the Windows machine.

I don't particularly care for the Windows toolbar on top of the OSX taskbar - the graphics sucks

Peter

5. danboarder

danboarder Junior Member

MBX, one way to see the macbook HD is to turn on Windows file sharing for the Macbook-- this can be set in OS X System Preferences > Sharing ...

As far as XGL -- I think this will require better 3D support within Parallels. I would like to set up Beryl or XGL/Compiz on linux as well, but we might have to wait until Parallels emulates a standard 3D card (like Nvidia Ti series or perhaps something similar)... that would be awesome.

However, if anyone has had luck with XGL/Compiz or Beryl in linux running in Parallels, chime in! I'm all ears.