Internet connectivity in Parallels

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by AdamCohen, Jul 24, 2009.

1. AdamCohen

AdamCohen Bit poster

I'm currently running Parallels 3.0 (Windows Vista) on a Mac OSX. My DSL Internet connection is fine for the Macintosh, but doesn't work in Parallels. My ISP's customer service assures me that the issue is not a connectivity issue, but might relate either to Parallels or how Internet Explorer is configured in my Parallels environment. Since this is needed for my work, if anyone has any suggestions, I'd be most appreciative if you can reply here or to my e-mail (noam@puzzlers.org). Thanks!

2. Anupama A

Anupama A Pro

Hello,

To enable network support in Windows Vista, you should install driver for network card inside Vista. To do this, you should go through the following steps:

1. Connect Parallels Tools CD image (vmtools.iso) to VM. You can find
    Parallels Tools CD image at the /Library/Parallels/Tools folder.

2. In the Windows Vista Start menu, go to Control Panel -> System -> Device Manager and select
    Network Adapters -> Parallels Network Adapter in the left panel. Double click it.

3. Choose Driver -> Update Driver... -> Browse for driver software on your computer. Point the path to your CD.

4. When Windows asks you what driver to use, you should point to:

Drivers/Network/RTL8029/Win2000.XP.ME.2003 on your virtual CD-ROM.

Please let me know the status of the issue.

3. >>> Message has been deleted by the user <<<

4. CEF

CEF Bit poster

I'm trying to do the same

I'm also in this same situation and tried to do all that is in the user manual and other threads. The Vista side of Parallels 3.0 still is not connecting to the internet even though the Mac OSX-side can access the internet through our ethernet connection.

5. Anupama A

Anupama A Pro

Hello,

Please follow the steps mentioned below:

1) Start virtual machine.

2) Click on Start->Control Panel->Programs( Uninstall Program)->Uninstall Parallel Tools from here.

3) Go to "My Computer" - "C" Drive - "Program Files" - "Parallels" folder and delete the "Parallels Tools" folder.

4) Click the Windows "Start" menu -> "Run" and type "regedit". Hit OK.

5) In Registry Editor, go to "My Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Parallels" and delete the "Parallels Tools" entry.

6) Reboot Windows.

Reinstall Parallel Tools with the help of the following steps:

1) Click on "Virtual Machine" on top menu bar.

2) Click on "Install Parallel Tools".

3) Wait till you get message "Parallel Tools installed successfully". Also, disable the antivirus.

4) Now, check if you are able to access Internet or not.

6. CEF

CEF Bit poster

Still not connecting

I followed your instructions as best I could, and it is still not connecting. However, let me tell you how my experience differentiated from the steps you gave. After step 2, I was required to restart Windows Vista Business. When I returned, there was no "My Computer," and under "Program Files" there was no "Parallels" folder. For step four, I went to the "C:" prompt and entered "run regedit." Here, too, there was no "software" folder under "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE." I rebooted again.

On the top menu bar, there was no "Virtual Machine" listing. Nevertheless, I found "Install Parallel Tools" and completed that installation successfully. During the process, it did say that it could not verify something, but I said it was okay. The antivirus was not running. I restarted again. Still no internet.