Ubuntu VM - window in Parallels is to large to be useful

Discussion in 'Linux Virtual Machine' started by bostonantifan, Aug 1, 2009.

1. bostonantifan

bostonantifan Member

When I load my Ubuntu 9.04 VM, Parallels Desktop for Mac's window size changes, and it becomes so large that I have to use scroll bars to get from one end of the Ubuntu desktop to the other and to go from top to bottom. Does anyone know how to fix this?

Parallels posted a fix for a Windows VM. They said to right click on the Windows desktop and resize the window from there. Unfortunately, Ubuntu doesn't provide the same option.

2. AlbertM

AlbertM Bit poster

In the configuration menu in parallels, there is an option (I think it is under display) that changes the screen resolution based on the size of the VM window.

3. bostonantifan

bostonantifan Member

Sorry to say, I looked in Virtual Machine => Configure and all the underlying options, and none of them say anything about changing the resolution of the screen, dependent on the on the size of the VM window or not.

4. AlbertM

AlbertM Bit poster

You're right, my bad. Well, if you change your screen resolution in your VM, that could work. The best solution would be to use parallels tools, but unless you downgrade xorg, it still won't work. I simply downgraded to Hardy Heron, which works better than Jaunty, in my opinion.

5. How to resize the Ubuntu desktop

Hi,

in System > Preferences > Display you can change the resolution of the Ubuntu desktop. If there is no resolution that fits exactly, use one that is smaller than your real screen. I am using 1680 * 1050 on my 1920 * 1080 screen. Note that this does not affect the login screen which stays too large.

HTH,
    Klaus