Shared folders

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by murex, Jan 3, 2007.

1. murex

murex Bit poster

I'm using the latest beta build (3106). I've used transpoter to convert my vmware image of Windows XP and everything works fine besides shared folders.
    I've installed parallel tools, edited vm and i have added a folder to share from my osx. When i click to PSF shortcut in VM's desktop i can see the folder but i can't open it (Access denied). I've tried to map it as a drive but no luck either. Is there any workaround for this problem??
    Thanks and Happy new year :)

2. dwmreg

dwmreg Bit poster

I to just noted this problem. I'm not able to share files between OS X and Parallels any longer. Bummer.

3. Platinum Samples

Platinum Samples Member

I ran into this after doing the last online update.

Rail

4. CStephen84

CStephen84 Member

Same as Platinum. Updated VM and Tools and now cannot access shared folder. Apparently no one on here yet has an answer.

5. drval

drval Pro

I'm in Coherence Mode and just do a straight "drag and drop" from one OS to the other. I'm not even using the Shared Folder.

Have you tried doing this?

For instance, open an Explorer Window in Windows (perhaps of My Computer). Open Finder in OSX, click on a file and drag it over to the already opened Explorer Window. You should see a copy of it appear there. Now try the reverse.

6. CStephen84

CStephen84 Member

To be more specific. I updated to the 1970 version of parallels and parallels tools. Now I cannot connect to shared folder when in WinXP. Message says "\\.psf is not accessible. [etc. etc.] The specified network provider name is invalid." Help anybody?

7. drval

drval Pro

Try creating a new Shared Folder.

8. CStephen84

CStephen84 Member

I'll let you know. What is Coherence mode? Creating a new Shared Folder didn't solve the problem.

Thanks.

9. CStephen84

CStephen84 Member

Guess I need to know what "Coherence Mode" is before I can try dragging and dropping.

10. drval

drval Pro

I'm not sure if Coherence Mode is available in build 1970. I do know that it is available in beta 3106.

11. CStephen84

CStephen84 Member

Maybe I better wait on my tech guy. I think I might have already screwed up the settings he had on here for me to connect to the office network while at work (I have macbook pro). I'm at home today and probably have done way too much unassisted. I'm just frustrated that I could use shared folders before the so-called "upgrade" and now I cannot. Thanks for the suggestions.

12. CStephen84

CStephen84 Member

Issue Resolved

Problem solved. In WinXP I went to the Network Connection LAN icon, double clicked, went to properties and added the missing "parallels shared folders network provider". This was deleted when I updated Parallels. Thanks for all the help.

Steve

13. Hugh Watkins

Hugh Watkins Forum Maven

did not work for me

Hugh W

14. DrFun

DrFun Bit poster

It did not work for me either. I've struggled over 20 hours with getting the Shared Folders Tool to work after upgrading to Build 1970. The other Parallels Tools (mouse, video, etc) all work.

I've sent several bug reports to the Support folks with no reply. Any tips on getting a clean install of the complete set of Parallels Tools will be greatly appreciated.

15. drval

drval Pro

I'm in beta 3106 so I don't know how helpful this will be relative to other version; but, in Parallels Menu choose Devices/Shared Folders -- choose Connect if one is available but not Connected, or choose Add to create another Shared Folder.

16. DrFun

DrFun Bit poster

I couldn't get beta 3106 to run at all so I reverted to build 1970. Unfortunately, in the process, I am not able to run the Parallel Tools wizard to install the Shared Folders tool. So, to clarify, my problem is not configuring shared folders (I had them working just fine before). Rather, I need tips on performing a complete/clean install of Parallels Tools. This may involve a registry hack or other manual intervention but I need to know what to look for.
    Thanks!

17. drval

drval Pro

I simply dragged all of the VM files to the Trash, rebooted, saw that there were no references in the Dock or Applications folder remaining re: Parallels. Then I redownloaded the "latest" beta (which was 3106 at the time) and did a typical install from there.

18. DrFun

DrFun Bit poster

That worked - thanks! (I was hoping to preserve and reuse my HDD image but your tip got me up and running again.)

19. drval

drval Pro

Great! Glad to be of help.

20. herwaarden.van.f

herwaarden.van.f Bit poster

This worked for me also, but I would like to add that after going to properties, you should go to: install --> client --> Parallels Shared Network Provider --> Add.
    This did the job for me! ::) ::) ::)