beta3 - parallels tools setup on every vm-startup

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by johnny.moped, Dec 30, 2006.

1. johnny.moped

johnny.moped Bit poster

hi,

today i updated from beta2 to beta3. everything works fine, except that every time i start my bc-winxp-vm the parallels tools setup (telling me not to touch the guest os until its finished) starts.
    actually it doesn't bother me, but i'm just wondering if anything went wrong during installation.
    is this a feature or a bug?

daniel

2. nycruza

nycruza Hunter

Same thing here, but I noticed that after the first time, it disappears immediately once the desktop loads AND nothing is installed. Additionally, all the patches are in place and enabled at the correct version.

Annoying, but liveable.

ajm

3. theFATangel

theFATangel Bit poster

I believe I fixed the same problem for myself.

I booted into the VM and went to "Start > Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs" and ran the UNinstall from there (didn't seem to work when I ran the Parallels Tools Installer - it detects the presence of Parallels Tools and then offers you to uninstall).

When I was prompted to install drivers for new found hardware I simply cancelled these windows until the uninstall was completed. Afterwards I rebooted, chose "Options > Install Parallels Tools" from inside Mac OSX with the VM booted. [I have autorun disabled on CD insert which is how the above action is supposed to automate the installation of the Parallels Tools. If you have autorun disabled like myself, please navigate to the CD drive and launch the application PTStart.exe].

After the reinstall you should be prompted to reboot and hopefully there is no more warning window when booting up.

theFATangel :)

4. johnny.moped

johnny.moped Bit poster

i already uninstalled the parallel tools via bootcamp before i updated to beta3. then i was booting as vm and chose install parallels tools from the parallels menu. but everytime i boot via parallels it installs the again.
    maybe it's just the way it is, because everything works fine and i havent to select the parallels hardware profile on booting anymore. just wanted to know, if this is the way it works or just happens to me.

5. Justy

Justy Bit poster

Same problem here. I uninstalled Parallels Tools after booting into the partition properly, before upgrading Parallels.

Did the upgrade to 3106 and now everytime I start the VM I get "Parallels Tools setup is in progress..." I can use XP as normal once it has loaded but everytime I do a shutdown then start, the dialog appears again.

I also tried uninstalling Parallels Tools when working from the VM, and reinstalling them, which appeared to sort the issue, but it came back again when doing a proper shutdown and open. So the dialog doesn't show up on a restart but always does on a 'proper' boot from Parallels.

Humpf!

6. Trintex

Trintex Bit poster

Same, Same exact over Justy's three (3) paragraphs. There were no Tools in the Boot Camp partition before 3106.

7. tom27

tom27 Member

New customer here :)
    Just installed latest beta (the first time, yipee) and exactly the same trouble:

Windows XP prompts to install Parallel Tools on every bootup - and even stranger: There is NO Parallels directory to be found under Windows, but all works fine (except I cannot get coherence mode etc.)

Any ideas? thanks a lot in advance!

kind regards
    Tom

8. tom27

tom27 Member

Hi folks,

just to add: my virtual machine has 2 .log entries in the documents/temp folder

- parallels-tools-install.log
    - parallels-tools-setup.log

where the setup.log contains as last line

ResultCode=-3

So this obviously means there was something wrong and that´s why I do not
    have Parallel Tools installed here. But how do I manage? How to get them manually?

Thanks
    Tom

9. tom27

tom27 Member

SOLUTION:
    what a newbies does not know ;-) The overlay message that Parallels Tools are installed is displayed directly after bootup, implying that the installation actually takes place.
    BUT: If you have more than 1 account, XP does not boot into the OS but stops at the logon screen. So Parallels overlays the logon screen with the installation message but at this stage, an installation cannot be performed!

You must first log in with administrator rights and then manually install Paralells Tools from the Actions menu.

My wish would be (in order to better support new users): The overlay dialog should not only include the installation texts but also a hint that installation does NOT take place when XP stops at the logon screen.

Thanks & all the best
    Tom

EDIT:
    Sorry folks, but the solution was on temporary it seems :confused:
    After shutting down my Mac and rebooting it today, Parallels first said that I cannot
    find the BootCamp Image, I quit and re-launched - and from that point onwards,
    it again insists to install Paralells Tools each time I launch the VM.
    Any ideas would be very welcome...:rolleyes:

Last edited: Jan 2, 2007
  10. Trintex

Trintex Bit poster

Continued testing finds that on the BootCamp side, Parallel Tools are loaded and cannot be removed. Expect this restriction would go away if the VM were deleted. In any event, seems the repeated warning is unnecessary. I also find that once the XP login page is shown, I can start with password and go to work without waiting for transparent warning with lock to disappear.

11. nycruza

nycruza Hunter

The message is a warning and does not mean the tools are actually being installed.
    Once installed, the message typically disappears once the desktop is visible.

As for "loading" new Parallel tools; if using Boot Camp, I have found the easiest method after upgrading is to boot in SAFE mode, login and select install under the Parallels window.

It's much faster and, at least for me, has never failed.

Also if running boot camp, I STRONGLY recommend going into "msconfig" and disable the Apple Keyboard Manager from loading during the booting process. It is not needed in Parallels and eats up CPU time.

When using direct Boot-Camp, just launch the program AFTER booting.

ajm

12. snipes

snipes Member

Same problem here. I've got a FAT32 boot camp partition that appears to be working perfectly in Parallels other than this little annoyance. I have confirmed that Parallels Tools are installed under Windows and can confirm the Program Files\Parallels directory is populated with many items...

I also have multiple users showing up on my XP login page, so perhaps that is related as mentioned earlier?

13. joemx

joemx Junior Member

works, but looks like an auto windows update breaks it

I had the same prob with the parallel tools install on every boot into the VM..

Went into CP uninstalled parallel tools, rebooted. Installed parallel tools.. Rebooted, no message.. But upon the next reboot I noticed that there was an auto update from MS.. The following boot up had the Parallel tools install message.. I can only assume that this auto update from MS is making parallels think the tools are not installed..

For now Im over it since I dont have time to deal with this prob, that really doesnt seem to effect anything anyways..

Joe

14. joemx

joemx Junior Member

So I couldnt help but try.. I turned off auto updates, Redid the above.. The first couple of reboots my start menu disappear.. I could hit ctrl-esc to get it up but the task bar would never show.. Rebooted 2nd time same problem.. Rebooted a 3rd time I was trying to reboot into safe mode, but I failed, but when the system cam up everything seems to be working.. Going to bed.. Ill post again if anything changes.. But for now there's a possible solution...