Login Prompt On Shared Folders?

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by bobbyt, Dec 22, 2008.

1. bobbyt

bobbyt Hunter

For some reason Parallels (4.0.3540) keeps loosing permission for shared folders and shared desktop. I get an XP login prompt and the only way to re-gain access is to shut the VM down & start it up again.

I've had this happen 3 or 4 times now and I don't use Parallels Desktop very often. It seems to happen after restoring a saved session, but not every time. I never saw this problem prior to upgrading to 4.0...

2. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

Could you please elaborate, are you getting password prompt when trying to access folders, or at login screen

3. bobbyt

bobbyt Hunter

I get an error "invalid handle" and I'm prompted for a USERNAME/PASSWORD.

I have no idea what to type (the username field is unchangable, but the password field is blank). Clicking OK causes the prompt to come back, so its seemingly expecting a password that I don't have...

4. John@Parallels

It looks like virus infection, or Windows corruption
    Try to check Vm for viruses using online scanner
    1. Open IE
    2. navigate to drweb.com and click to download cureit.exe
    3. Do not select save, select run instead

5. bobbyt

bobbyt Hunter

I have two anti-virus scanners (AVG Free & Avast) running on my system, as well as windows defender.

I'm also run Spybot S&D on a regular basis...

I truly don't understand how a virus can make permissions to shared folders disappear. This is one of the most inconsisant explinations I've ever heard for a permissions problem in my life...

Again, this problem will only occur after restoring a VM from a suspended state. Prior to suspending a VM the problem doesn't surface what-so-ever...

How a virus could detect that I have suspended a VM then restored, and only kick in after that seems very odd to me...

6. bobbyt

bobbyt Hunter

Maybe this will make it clearer.

This only effects SHARED FOLDERS. All other network access is completely uneffected. Essentially only my shared folders (as set up in paralells options) are effected.

[​IMG]

Once again, this only happens AFTER restoring a VM from a suspended state. Until I suspend and restore the VM, this problem does not occur...

7. John@Parallels

Are you getting login prompt after resuming?

8. bobbyt

bobbyt Hunter

Not immedatly. ONLY when trying to access my shared folders after resuming...

This also effects my shared desktop (under shared profiles), so if I try to access that folder I get the prompt as well (once this problem kicks in)...

I have recently tried uninstalling & re-installing parallels tools so see if this would have any effect, but I just confirmed that the problem still occurs...

I did try removing & re-adding my shared folders, but this didn't seem to do much either...

Its looking like the system is simply forgetting the credentials...

FTR: I did go ahead & re-run all my scans (under Avast & AVG Free, as well as Spybot S&D and Ad-Aware 2008) after my last post, and though they caught some tracking cookies, they didn't detect any other type of infection or trojan in the system...

9. John@Parallels

Yes, after resume

We are working on this case

10. bobbyt

bobbyt Hunter

I actually just realized a few things.

First off, the Home share, which seems to appear by default when I enable folder sharing (folder sharing has a checkbox to share only the home directory or the entire drive) seems to vanish after a while (possibly after restore).

My custom shared directories don't disappear at all, however I have mapped network drives which use these.

What I'm finding is after a restore these shares get an error. If I go directly into the \\.psf\ folder and open each of the shared folders from there (my custom shares, as the home share disappears), they open fine.

AFTER this, my mapped drives function normally again...

Its almost as if the shares become invisible to the machine until they are manually opened in the .psf folder after a restore... I did find that each of the mapped drives cease to work until each individual shared folder is opened (I was able to do it one at a time for each shared folder/mapped drive combo)...

11. John@Parallels

We are working to resolve the whole case

12. cybertubby

cybertubby Member

suspend, restore, \\.psf\Home, and login prompt

Was a solution ever found? I've posted a very similar issue
    (http://forum.parallels.com/showthread.php?t=89513)
    and recently submitted a bug report.

I'm running 4.0.3844 (dated May 5).

13. MargaretS

MargaretS Junior Member

Anything on a resolution to this problem? as noted in the screen print above.

14. timojhen

timojhen Bit poster

bumping thread -- still an issue with Parallels 4.x

Exact same issues as noted above, losing permissions to psf folders.