New mac & need to re-install

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by BMS, Aug 7, 2009.

1. BMS

BMS Junior Member

I just upgraded to a Macbook Pro but my problem is that I no longer have my Windows cd. Is there a way for me to bring over the Parallels file and not have to go out and buy another copy of Windows & re-install it onto the new mac? Furthermore, I upgraded to 4.0 but it was via download, will I be able to re-download it and install it on the new mac without paying again?

2. Anupama A

Anupama A Pro

Hello,

As we can see that you want to install parallels on your new mac, you can use the same parallels package.

You may copy the .pvs file / .pvm file (Windows) which consists of your VM and its entire data and have it located on your new Mac and that should help you resolve your issue. Your .pvm or .pvs file will be located in one of the following directories

/Users/<you user name>/Documents/
    /Users/<you user name>/Library/

Make sure that you have a backup of your virtual machine so that if the old VM does not work we can create a new virtual machine using the existing image file.

In case if Parallels Desktop does not launch then you must Uninstall and Reinstall Parallels Desktop and that should resolve your issue. After you Launch Parallels Desktop and start VM again ensure that Parallels Tools are also installed.

You can install new copy of Parallels Desktop on your new Mac Book and create new Virtual Machine.

Please let us know how everything goes.

Thank You.

3. BMS

BMS Junior Member

So I can do a fresh install of Parallels(tweak the settings for the VM) and if I bring over that pvs file I'll have Windows on the new mac?

The "tweak the settings" is an important factor for me because the last time I set it up I gave the VM too much HDD space that I never was going to use. I'd like to fix that on this new computer if possible.

4. BMS

BMS Junior Member

Alright, I have Parallels over on my new mac. When I try to launch it, the program wants me to re-install windows. Now, I did find the pvm file you mentioned before. However, I'm not sure where I should put that file. Should I just bring everything that is in that parallels folder related to windows and dump it in my library folder on my new mac? If you could provide detailed instructions, I would appreciate it.

5. BMS

BMS Junior Member

Just a quick follow up(information) after my last post. I have the pvm file on my new mac but I don't know where to put it. Because when I go to "library" on the new mac there is no Parallels folder like there is on my old one. Should I make that folder? There is an empty Parallels folder in "documents" but when I went back to my old laptop that particular folder in that location is empty as well, so I'm assuming it has no use there.

6. BMS

BMS Junior Member

I realize there are tons of requests for help, if anyone else is available to assist me and answer my questions I would really appreciate it. Thank you in advance for your help.

7. Anupama A

Anupama A Pro

Hello,

I apologize for the delay.

On the new Mac if you are getting a message to create a new virtual machine or getting new virtual machine assistant then please go ahead and create a new vm based on the existing image file. And this existing image would be the .pvm file on the new Mac.

http://download.parallels.com/desktop/v4/docs/en/Getting_Started_With_Parallels_Desktop/23107.htm

And also you can place the .pvm file in Home Folder -> documents -> Parallels. If you don't find Parallels in Documents then you can create one.

Thank You.

________
    Anupama
    Parallels Team

8. BMS

BMS Junior Member

Alright, so I attempted this however none of the files is available to be selected. Basically, I can see them but they're gray and are not available to be opened as the "image". These are the files that I have available(that fit pvs or pvm) however are not allowed to be selected:

Microsoft Windows XP.pvm

and

winxp.pvs

What is interesting is that when I look at them on my mac they're files but when I try to open them using the Parallels setup it goes into them and shows files within these files. Either way though I am unable to select them as "images" for the install.

What should I do?

9. BMS

BMS Junior Member

It's looking like I'm going to have to go out and buy a new copy of Windows...gosh I really don't want to drop 200 on it!

However, I'm starting to get desperate and would really like to begin the migration to my new laptop. Let me know what you think about my previous post and if there is any hope for me, thanks.

10. Anupama A

Anupama A Pro

Hello,

Please double click on Windows Xp.pvm and try to launch the virtual machine. Or else try double clicking on the .pvs file and let me know what happens.

The Windows XP.pvm file is your virtual machine so just try double clicking on it and open it.

11. BMS

BMS Junior Member

When I click on the .pvm file it says that I do not have sufficient privileges to access this virtual machine. However, when I click on the .pvs file it says "this virtual machine needs to be converted before it can be used with parallels desktop 4". The options it gives me at that point are: 1. Cancel, 2. Backup & Convert, 3. Convert. What should I do?

12. Anupama A

Anupama A Pro

Hello,

Please click on Back and Convert.

13. BMS

BMS Junior Member

Will this mean that I will not be able to set a new HDD space level? In my previous VM I gave it too much space(that I would never use) and I would have liked to reduce that amount now on this new computer. If that is impossible then I'll live with that outcome as long as I can get it working on the new computer.

14. BMS

BMS Junior Member

I'm not exactly sure what happened but the backup and convert failed. I messed with some permissions and now when I click the pvm it opens right up to the VM. Now I have two problems.

First is on my new laptop I don't have all the parallels files installed for one reason or another. In order to open the VM I have to go to my old user account and click on this PVM file. Which concerns me because what happens if I change computers in the future? Is it copying all the files it needs on a daily basis to ensure that I am keeping accurate backups?

Secondly now whenever I launch the VM I am getting an error that reads "unable to connect cd/dvd-rom 1" It explains that the file or device required for the operation of the cd/dvd does not exist or is used in another process, etc.

15. PatrickP

PatrickP Junior Member

regarding "unable to connect cd/dvd-rom 1"

I had the same problem when I moved from a Mac Mini to a MacBook Pro. The issue is your old DVD and the new one are different models most likely from different manufacturers. Go to Devices and select the DVD. You will see in the drop the name of your old DVD with a check next to it and elsewhere in the drop down something that tells you your real DVD. Pt a check next ot it and the error should go away.

16. MurrayH

MurrayH Bit poster

Parallels - New Computer - 1 License

Hi,

I just bought a new computer. How do I uninstall Parallels 5 on my old one to use the same serial code on the new computer?

Thanks