how to backup Parallels Installation

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by byeagle, Jan 10, 2007.

1. byeagle

byeagle Junior Member

I´m running the beta 2 and want to update to beta 3.

How can i Backup Parallels if i want to go back to beta 2?

2. judisohn

judisohn Junior Member

Just go to your home folder and to Library/Parallels/ Copy that folder's contents to wherever you want to save it.

3. Hagbard

Hagbard Member

Do you still have the .dmg for the beta2 download, or the beta2 installer extracted from the .dmg? The method for a downgrade if needed is:

1) Run the UNinstaller from the version you are using
    2) Reboot your mac
    3) Run the installer from the previous version you wish to return to

This worked fine for me for downgrading from beta 3 back to build 1970.

4. dkp

dkp Forum Maven

You just uninstall beta 3 and install beta 2. Do be sure to preserve your version specific VM's, though. Don't leave them suspended between Parallels installations. I created a folder for version 1970 and another for 3106 vm's and don't mix them. I keep master copies of my important vm's and the Parallels version number they run in on a DVD. That way they're always available for restoration if anything goes wrong.

5. Hagbard

Hagbard Member

Judisohn, I think that method will also copy the .hdd file of all your VMs assuming standard setup, so it will result in doubling the disk space used by Parallels, and I also believe that it would result in problems if you attempted to downgrade just by recopying. You need to use the uninstall/install utilities provided by Parallels or you will most likely have issues.