Slow OSX shutdown if Parallels wasn't started

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by AgentMax, Dec 14, 2008.

1. sandro

sandro Parallels Developers

Sorry, my fault. Please use another command instead:
    cd "/Library/Parallels/Parallels Service.app/Contents/Resources/"

2. sandro

It's Parallels startup script which servicing by launchd. It hasn't necessary trap block for SIGTERM before and was terminating without necessary actions to stop Parallels environment. So prl_disp_service on OS shutdown continue working until trying to terminate by system in some random order. On some hosts it was a problem with service deadlock on attempt to get access to some unavailable already resources required for it proper work.

3. mohamed shafi

mohamed shafi Bit poster

Upon starting Parallels, I didn't seem to have too many problems. I had to reactivate, but that was a problem that Parallels clearly documented as a known issue with Parallels software. Strange that it would come up now, after the previous problems I had with the system, but not quite unexpected. And, after activating Vista, the system did boot normally. I tested the software, and found everything to be operational. So I called it "Stable" and shut the Parallels virtual machine down. I then rebooted the computer, to load up Boot Camp to be sure that the system was still stable on that side.

4. biglar

biglar Pro

Sandro, I attempted to install the files in terminal as you suggested. All seemed to go well, but now when I try to start parallels I get the error: Unable to connect to Parallels Service. Obviously, I made an error somewhere.

5. sandro

hmm, not good news. Please perform follow commands to repair your PD:

1. at first lets check out whether you done all properly:

sudo cat ParallelsDispatcherService

after this please post output here or just attach this file.

2. restore previous version of script:
    sudo cp ./ParallelsDispatcherService.bak ./ParallelsDispatcherService

6. I signed up here just so I could post in this topic. This issue is STILL happening, and it's really getting frustrating.

I have a 2006 Mac Pro on OSX 10.5.8, however this has been happening since at least January. Same symptoms as others have described; Shutdown/Restart take 30-40 seconds. I can also confirm that Parallels is the issue.

First, I've been watching my Console window at shutdown, trying to find a common pattern. And here it is:
    [​IMG]

Next, to test and confirm this, I used a program called Lingon, which shows any User Agents or Daemons that are done at startup:
    [​IMG]

I deleted the Parallels ones, and BAM, Shutdown/Restart work within a second of telling OSX. Of course, then Parallels refuses to work, and I had to reinstall everything. Lo and behold, the issue returned as well.

Something has to be done here. This has been going on now for at least 8 months, and still hasn't been fixed. Directly adversely affecting the daily running of End Users is not good. Especially when Parallels is also causing THIS:
    [​IMG]

Note how it happens about twice a minute. That's filling up my Console logs, and keeps happening everyday. Uninstall Parallels, and the problem is gone.

I'm not the only one having these problems. There are topics on Apple Discussion forums and MacRumors with the same issues but one thing in common; Parallels.

So here I am. I will be glad to help test any potential fixes you have, but it's about time that this issue gets solved. Thank you.

7. sandro

Hello.

Could you specify which version of PD4 you've installed. Problem was fixed just in latest PD4 updates and of course presence at previous versions. If PD4 still installed on your system could you please send us problem report and post here it id.

8. Joel Ashman

Joel Ashman Bit poster

Yep, Still going on

I wanted to respond to this again so many months later. The problem still exists. No questions about it. I even attempted to use the fix in this forum, installed it properly, used parallels, and to no avail, slowness still exists. I must say that this problem has still been going on now nearly 5 months from my original post, but also over the course of various updates to the mac os. Currently I'm using 10.5.8, and Parallels Build 4.0.3384, May 5th, 2009.

Others have verified these same problems as I've posted as well and to date, a fix has yet to be made.

Startup and Shutdown on the new intel macs should take no more than 10 seconds typically. I also use Lingon, and used it back in April when I originally posted too and noticed the EXACT same things the previous poster noticed.

So all I have to say at this point is WHEN WILL A TRUE FIX BE AVAILABLE?

9. sandro

I think problem would be resolved a long time ago if we'd have official request from you to support. Public forum is not good place for such problems discussions because we need a quite much additional private information from your host where problem exists. Could you create an official support request and post here (or at private messages) ticket id in order we can follow up with problem investigation.

10. I also have the same version as Joel. I can't believe that from the numerous people in this thread replying that someone from Parallels didn't create a bug/issue request themselves. Is it really good customer service when a company makes the end user find, report, and test bugs?

Also, please don't be offended, but I am having a very hard time trying to figure out what you are saying. You seem to be omitting 'a''s and 'the's.

11. sandro

GodzF.

Problem is just that indeed numerous people here reported problem but just one of them during this time contacted to support with problem and it was resolved for him with mentioned at thread solution. If this solution not working for you and for some others here then it's another case and should be investigated separately. But it can't be done without help from your side.

12. DaTa

DaTa Hunter

Dear Users,

anyone who has the issue discussed here, please create support tickets at:

http://www.parallels.com/support/request/

and post the tickets' numbers in this thread, we will monitor them.
    Thank you!

13. Ticket #758515

Still pretty sad that the company is essentially making their end users have to test and fix the problem themself.

14. I was e-mailed today with a response:

"Thank you for contacting Parallels Technical Support.

To resolve this issue please turn off smart mount option. Follow the steps below to turn off smart mount.

http://kb.parallels.com/5778"

We will see if this takes care of the issue or not.

15. sandro

We don't have a choice because it's very rare case and we can't to reproduce problem internally.

16. sandro

Issue was investigated and we found that version 3844 doesn't have solution of the problem. It will income with the nearest update of PD 4.0. To resolve solution by yourself please do follow actions:

1. install clean version of PD 4.0 build 3844
    2. save attached patch somewhere (i assume at follow steps that it was saved to ~/Downloads/ folder)
    3. run Terminal application (it situated at /Applications/Utilities/ folder) and perform there follow sequence of commands one by one:

sudo patch -p0 <~/Downloads/patch.patch
    sudo launchctl stop com.parallels.desktop.launchdaemon
    pid=`ps aux -c | grep prl_disp | awk '{print $2;}'`;sudo kill -TERM $pid;while :; do ps aux -c | grep prl_disp >/dev/null 2>&1 || break; done
    sudo launchctl start com.parallels.desktop.launchdaemon

4. After this check that PD 4.0 working properly (just start GUI part) and try to shutdown/startup your Mac OS several times. Problem should gone.

Attached Files:

17. SebastianL

SebastianL Bit poster

Error still occur in build 3846.
    Fix above works.

18. SebastianL

SebastianL Bit poster

Support Ticket #792199

Solution suggested above helped – but just for the case Parallels wasn't started. After using Parallels, and quit the application properly, shutdown of Mac OS X still takes 30 seconds. Desktop disappears as it should, but then a grey wheel spinning in front of a blue-grey background for several seconds. Than shutdown, no error messages.

19. Thomas Greschitz

Thomas Greschitz Bit poster

Support Ticket # 792631

According to:

http://forum.parallels.com/showthread.php?t=32461&page=2&highlight=shutdown

I have opened this request. Applying the patch from sandro mentioned in this article I have exactly the same issue as user SebastianL in Support Ticket #792199:

Solution suggested above helped – but just for the case Parallels wasn't started. After using Parallels, and quit the application properly, shutdown of Mac OS X still takes 30 seconds. Desktop disappears as it should, but then a grey wheel spinning in front of a blue-grey background for several seconds. Than shutdown, no error messages.

If I kill the prl_disp_service manually before shutdown, shutdown happens absolutely immediately, otherwise shutdown still takes around 30 seconds if Parallels Desktop was started.

Would be fine if you could investigate this case and offer a working solution or patch.
    Thanks in advance for your help!

Best wishes from beautiful Vienna, Austria
    Tom

20. sandro

Hello Tom, Sebastian.

Could you provide with details of guest OS (Windows or something else you're using with Parallels) state: whether it's active on the moment or stopped? I mean in case if guest OS active it will require some time depends on OS type to suspend it at first in order to safe your guest applications state and data and then prl_disp_service will finalize it work. Could you please to check this case: try to shutdown Mac OS on active guest and stopped and compare results.