Printer HP CM 1017 on Parallels 4.0

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by theben, Jan 10, 2009.

1. theben

theben Bit poster

I have just installed Parallels 4. on iMac to work under xp.
    My printer HP Laserjet CM1017 does not start printing, either beeing directely connected with my host, the iMac, nor beeing conected in my wLan.
    What can I do? Do I have to install the OS for windows for the printer??

2. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

You can share any printer connected to you Mac with your Windows or Linux virtual machine. The printer will be available through the virtual machine's parallel port.

To share your Mac's printer:

Launch Parallels Desktop and open the virtual machine.
    Open the Virtual Machine Configuration dialog by choosing Configure from the Virtual Machine menu. Make sure that the configuration includes a parallel port. If necessary, add it. See Adding a Parallel Port.
    In the Parallel Port pane, make sure that the Enabled option is selected. Select Connected, if you want the printer to be automatically connected on the virtual machine startup.
    Select the Printer option. You can choose a specific printer from the printers list or use the Default printer option if you want to use the default printer set in Mac OS X.
    Click OK to close Virtual Machine Configuration.
    Start the virtual machine.
    In a Windows guest OS, if you have Parallels Tools installed, the HP Color LaserJet 8500 PS or Apple Color LW 12/660 PS printer is automatically connected to your virtual machine and you can use it at once. In a Linux guest OS or if you do not have Parallels Tools installed in your Windows guest OS, no matter what type of printer you have, install either the HP Color LaserJet 8500 PS, or Apple Color LW 12/660 PS printer driver and then follow the procedure of adding a printer in a guest OS described bellow.
    Warning: Do not install the driver from the installation CD, supplied with your printer, in the virtual machine.

Adding a printer in a Windows guest operating systems
    To add a printer in a Windows guest OS:

Start the Windows virtual machine and log in as administrator.
    Open the Windows Start menu, select Control Panel.
    In the Control Panel window, select the Printers and Faxes (or Printers, or Printers and Other Hardware) item.
    Open the Add Printer wizard:
    In Windows XP click the Add a printer link.
    In Windows 95 /98 /NT /ME /2000 /2003 double-click the Add printer icon.
    In the Add Printer wizard:
    In Windows Vista:
    - click Add a local printer,
    - select Use an existing port and click Next.
    In Windows 2000 /XP /2003:
    - click Next in the wizard's first dialog,
    - in the Local or Network Printer dialog, click Local printer attached to this computer.
    In Windows 98/ME:
    - click Next in the wizard's first dialog,
    - for the How is this printer attached to your computer? select the Local printer option.
    In Windows 95/NT:
    - click Local printer.
    Continue with the general installation procedure and install either HP Color LaserJet 8500 PS or Apple Color LW 12/660 PS driver.
    Adding a printer in a Linux guest operating systems

To add a printer in a Linux guest OS:

Start the Linux virtual machine and log in as administrator.
    Open the /etc/printcap/ configuration file and click the Add option.
    Select the type of printer to add: Local printer. Click Ok.
    Printtool will attempt to detect any printers which are attached to your parallel port and will show you the results. Click Ok.
    Specify the details about your printer, such as a name of the printer and its related spool directory, the location of the printer device and other options.
    The Input Filter contains information about your specific printer and its formatting requirements. To add your printer's information, click Select. The Configure Filter dialog will open.
    Choose the printer type: choose either HP Color LaserJet 8500 PS or Apple Color LW 12/660 PS driver. You can also set here other printing parameters. Click Ok.

3. theben

theben Bit poster

Thanks very much for the quick reponse.
    However I could not install the HP Laserjet CM1017 MFP because the printer was not offered in the listing for 'add printers'.
    You also mentioned that I should not use the HP installation CD with the driver for what reason so ever.

So, how can I install this printer. Does a general HP driver exists in the listing of 'add printers' which could be used for all types of HP printers. Or shall I try to install the installation CD?

Thx and regards

4. John@Parallels

Please read my previous post , you need to add HP Color LaserJet 8500 PS

5. theben

theben Bit poster

I tried with Color LaserJet 8500 PS, but it does not work.

Why can I not install the installation driver cd for the hp color Laserjet CM1017 within the guest windows OS? I could imagine that this could help?

Thanks and regards

6. theben

theben Bit poster

Thanks very much for the quick reponse.
    However I could not install the HP Laserjet CM1017 MFP because the printer was not offered in the listing for 'add printers'.
    You also mentioned that I should not use the HP installation CD with the driver for what reason so ever.

So, how can I install this printer. Does a general HP driver exists in the listing of 'add printers' which could be used for all types of HP printers. Or shall I try to install the installation CD?

Thx and regards

7. John@Parallels

Just I want to clarify
    1. Printer should be detected in mac OS
    2. It should be selected as Shared in Mac OS
    3. No custom printer drivers in VM

8. theben

theben Bit poster

In Parallels I have enabled 'Default'
    In Guest XP I have enabled 'HP Color Laser 8500 PS'
    in Host Mac I have enabled HP Color Laser CM 1017 (my printer)

I always receive the message while printing: '...no%%Pages: Comment in header...'
    In a different setting I received on the sheet only the message: Error: syntaxerror. Offending command: --nostringval--
    Stack: /mF_OTF_V

What do I wrong?

9. John@Parallels

Could you please provide screenshot for message,and also, Printer and Faxes page in Windows - Control Panel

10. theben

theben Bit poster

Thanks, problem is solved due to help of Parallels support team.

11. ShillemV

ShillemV Bit poster

Same problem here, can you help me?

12. Steve Dingeldein

Steve Dingeldein Bit poster

I have exactly the same problem with an HP Color Laserjet CM1312nfi printer. Same error messages as theben posted in his January 14 post

I always receive the message while printing: '...no%%Pages: Comment in header...'
    In a different setting I received on the sheet only the message: Error: syntaxerror. Offending command: --nostringval--
    Stack: /mF_OTF_V

except mine says

STACK:

-mark-

on the page that prints out.